Thread: disappearing text in paper space

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default disappearing text in paper space

I have several layouts in my drawing (6). in one particular layout when i try to create mtext or dtext in paper space (not annotative), as soon as I click to accept it, it disappears.
    I can create it in model space no problem. i have recovered, run audit, closed and reopened both the dwg and the software, rebooted the machine, nothing has solved the problem.
    it's just that one layout that this happens in. i've wblocked, copied and pasted, used design center, still no. luck.

i keep getting a warning: an error occurred during save. we recommend that you run RECOVER on the drawing.
    which I've done numerous times.

Help.....

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: disappearing text in paper space

What happens when you create it in modelspace and then use changespace to bring it into Paperspace? And the layer you are using isn't frozen or turned off in Layouts?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MHultgren View Post
    What happens when you create it in modelspace and then use changespace to bring it into Paperspace? And the layer you are using isn't frozen or turned off in Layouts?
    Same thing, it disappears once it's in paper space.
    and all layers are on and thawed.
    Last edited by rmk; 2020-06-23 at 01:38 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds like the layer isn't Frozen but is "Frozen in the current viewport". The Paper Space of a layout can also be "Frozen in the current viewport" allowing you to create the text or draw lines or other objects but you will not see them until you "Thaw in the current viewport".

Have you tried drawing lines on that same layer in that layout?
    Have you tried using a different layer?

Layouts can be corrupted, it's happened to me but I've only seen it cause issues inside viewports. I've had to reconstruct them before.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I didn't think of that one. thanks for the idea. I'm working from home today, but i will certainly try that when i get back to the office.
    no, nothing other than text.
    Last edited by rmk; 2020-06-23 at 04:36 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Sounds like the layer isn't Frozen but is "Frozen in the current viewport". The Paper Space of a layout can also be "Frozen in the current viewport" allowing you to create the text or draw lines or other objects but you will not see them until you "Thaw in the current viewport".

Have you tried drawing lines on that same layer in that layout?
    Have you tried using a different layer?

Layouts can be corrupted, it's happened to me but I've only seen it cause issues inside viewports. I've had to reconstruct them before.

Well it turns out it wasn't any of those things. It was text style. don't know why, but once I changed the text style to something else, everything worked fine.
    anybody know why a text style would cease to work in paper space? same style works fine in model space.

what's crazy is that same text style works fine in all the layouts and paper space, just not that one layout.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmk View Post
    Well it turns out it wasn't any of those things. It was text style. don't know why, but once I changed the text style to something else, everything worked fine.
    anybody know why a text style would cease to work in paper space? same style works fine in model space.

what's crazy is that same text style works fine in all the layouts and paper space, just not that one layout.
    I have no idea but is there something different about the text style (font) like a TTF vs. an SHX?
    And maybe that particular layout has a different "visual style" that doesnt match the others? 2D wireframe etc.