See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Deploying custom menus

Login to Give a bone

Default Deploying custom menus

Within this new world of mobility and working from home more, I still have to do updates to our custom menu and issue them out to everyone working from their own laptops or pcs at home. People are not tied to the server. Our menu was deployed where i could make menu updates and everyone would get the latest update when the restarted Autocad. Now, I have 20% who are not tied to a server and dont get the latest updates without me sending them a zip file of the updates and telling them where to put them on their computer. Is there a better solution to this? Is there a software you know of that will grab the latest updated menu folders and files, place them in a "zip" folder, and then deploy/extract them on the user's menu folder system?

With the new Autodesk subscription service changing to a stand-alone model where the user can place it on 3 machines, it doesnt make sense to have a server end menu location. Sure, it is more difficult to keep it up to date, but that where I would like to find software that makes that easier.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Deploying custom menus

Quote Originally Posted by mschirmer View Post
    Within this new world of mobility and working from home more, I still have to do updates to our custom menu and issue them out to everyone working from their own laptops or pcs at home. People are not tied to the server. Our menu was deployed where i could make menu updates and everyone would get the latest update when the restarted Autocad. Now, I have 20% who are not tied to a server and dont get the latest updates without me sending them a zip file of the updates and telling them where to put them on their computer. Is there a better solution to this? Is there a software you know of that will grab the latest updated menu folders and files, place them in a "zip" folder, and then deploy/extract them on the user's menu folder system?

With the new Autodesk subscription service changing to a stand-alone model where the user can place it on 3 machines, it doesnt make sense to have a server end menu location. Sure, it is more difficult to keep it up to date, but that where I would like to find software that makes that easier.
    I haven't tried it myself, but, I'm wondering if Autocad's Google Drive integration would help with that?
    It does say block libraries on your tool palettes can sync to cloud storage... not sure of anything else, support-wise.
    https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2021/
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Just wondering if you found a solution for this? I have a custom tab on the ribbon and control it with a CUI (on the server). So I would think that if your menu is in a custom CUI, seems like it could easily updated and possibly broadcast to the user via a script or something that IT could possibly set up. Just a thought as I contemplate a similar need for updating customization files.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We've had to change our working practices, as our connection from home is too slow when accessing the office server.
    All our customisation was based on the network server, but are now copied to the laptops. The configuration had to be changed on each copy of AutoCAD (LT), to point to the new locations.
    I've kept our block libraries on the server.
    I update the customisation and every now and again ask users to update their setup by use of a batch file running robocopy to mirror the server copy to the laptop -
    robocopy "Somewhere on the server" "%public%\Somewhere on the C drive" /njs /MIR /MT:8 /R:5 /W:10
    The script is based upon an article I read from the AUGI magazine I read many moons ago.