Thread: Explain the workflow for setting up "Master" architectural model and linking it into separate MEP trade models

Login to Give a bone

Default Explain the workflow for setting up "Master" architectural model and linking it into separate MEP trade models

I work at an MEP firm, and would like to get more insight on how exactly this workflow method is initially setup and updated when architectural changes come in. I know this is called the "Master Model" setup in some firms. The steps as I understand it in theory are as follows:

1. You have one "master" architectural model, that you initially clean up, purge, adjust specific views as needed, which then ultimately gets linked into each MEP trade's separate models.
    2. You create 4-5 separate models, one for each MEP trade (M, E, P, FP, T)
    3. In each separate MEP model, you link in the "master" architectural model from step 1, and simply use "Linked View" settings for each MEP view since you're controlling the architectural background elements in the "master" arch model only.
    4. Any updates from the architect, just get cleaned up, purged, etc, and saved over the "master" model from step 1, which in turn updates each of the separate MEP models view backgrounds as well.

Am I explaining this correctly? Is there any other things I should know about this method, tips, tricks, or pitfalls that I should be aware of? Also is this the preferred method of setting up multi-trade models?

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Explain the workflow for setting up "Master" architectural model and linking it into separate MEP trade models

Hi there, fosland1.

I have moved your post from the BIM Management forum to the Revit platform forum, as it should be better served here.
    Also? Be sure to scroll down below the post to see the 'Similar Threads' feature for other reading material.

Cheers,

Melanie
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Explain the workflow for setting up "Master" architectural model and linking it into separate MEP trade models

The typical process is a single model for each discipline. The notion of a master model is generally the architectural model because that is very often where all work begins. Each other discipline gets a copy of the architecture model to begin their own work. This process is no different from the external reference (Xref) process used by other software.

By default a linked model will only display model elements, no annotation. A possible motivator for using By Linked View override for a linked model is when a discipline wants to also see annotation that is present in the link. The simplest approach is to merely show a link By Host (your discipline) so you just see the other discipline's model(s). Using linked model V/G overrides creates more work and management as files are revised and replaced. Very often Filters can be used to manage what elements are visible in a host model's view without having to go down the rabbit hole of V/G link overrides.

Another way some people use a "master model" is the notion of the master model being used to create all sheets for a project...a model and a sheet (master) model. I discourage that approach as often as I can. It's more work to get everything done and antithetical to how Revit is intended to be used/function.

Login to Give a bone

I think we're describing the same thing, you have a single model for each MEP discipline, in which the architectural model, and all the MEP trades are all linked into each other. (For example, the E discipline would have its own model with the arch model, M model, P model, and FP models linked in.) Although if it were me, I would use the VV>Revit Links override settings to set all the links to "By Linked View" and map each view in the host model with the same view in the link, then switch it back to "Custom" so that each trade has the ability to turn off whatever they needed in the links, (if a trade didn't want to see furniture, etc). I understand it'd be easier to do by setting it the links to "Host View" and letting VV settings take care of everything, but we've had visibility issues with this in the past particularly with view ranges (if the view range in the host view was set to 7'-6", it wouldn't show some doors, windows correctly, as they would be below the cutplane), so I'm always nervous with letting the links set to "Host View". And if you don't want to see a trade, you'd just uncheck it from the Revit Links dialog.

Does this make sense? Is there an easier way to manage models if setup this way?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The feature By Linked View means you select a view in their model to use to display their elements. That assumes a suitable view actually exists in their model. The primary reasons to override a link is not to use By Linked View, it is to control which parts of a model are actually visible For example, a structural engineer may want to restrict which kinds of interior elements are visible in the arch model or the electrical engineer might want to show some mechanical equipment but only those that require power. Neither of those require choosing a specific view, just overriding the link to use custom settings. However, if an entire category is not needed or wanted in a given host view all that is required is turning off the host file's category.

Bottom line: it is much easier to manage a linked model that does not use overrides. Start their and then fine tune views. If you establish a routine with consultants you work with regularly then your project can have placeholder links that preset much of the kinds of overrides you want to use so you can use reload from to choose their file when it is made available to you. You don't know me but I've been using Revit since 2000 (yes when it started)...so I've been around the block a couple times.