Thread: disappearing Dimensions

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default disappearing Dimensions

Has anyone else experienced this ghostly phenomenon.
    I've dimensioned my project floor plan 3 times now. And every time I shut down Revit and reopen the project, a third or so of the dimensions have disappeared.
    I'm thinking about moving out before something real bad happens.
    Any advice??
    Thank You

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: disappearing Dimensions

Sadly I've seen this too often and never really found a satisfactory solution - or any solution. Sometimes it seem to help to be 100% sure everything being dimensioned is 100% parallel. I've also had success starting my dimensions changing at the opposite end ... ! I hope we get some better suggestions.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are there linked models/DWG that these dimensions are associated with? If so, then it's possible other activities in those links are altering Revit's ability to reference the elements correctly. If you make a note of what elements are referenced you might be able to go back and evaluate what/why they were affected. When dimensions are tied to elements that other people might alter through design changes or using Design Options/Views as well a linked files then the local file that is created when you open a file might be slightly out of sync with the current status of the model because they have not sync'd yet.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    ... then the local file that is created when you open a file might be slightly out of sync with the current status of the model because they have not sync'd yet.
    Hi Steve, can you explain a bit more what you mean? Are you saying that changes that are not yet synched can never the less affect objects in my file?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Regarding linked files and syncing I wrote this post awhile ago. Assuming two or more people are active in a file one user can add dimensions to elements that another user has deleted or changed. A sync will bring that to their attention because a dimension might not be able to reference the element anymore. Revit's pretty good about it for native elements but not all content is created equal and sometimes for example in a swapped family situation, one family lacks a valid reference in it that the original had. Because one user is seeing the old family and adding a dimension while you or someone else has swapped the family perhaps...even if they sync'd until that person reloads latest or syncs it won't trigger the deleted dimension warning.