Thread: institut du monde arabe facade

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default institut du monde arabe facade

Hi Guys!

I'm currently trying to construct the lenses for the facade of the institut du monde arabe. The lenses should also open and close as I later want to connect it to the sun with the help of dynamo. My question now is how can I construct the elements that open and close? I had already tried something with the angle function, but it didn't work ...
    I would be happy to receive ideas and feedback!

best regards

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: institut du monde arabe facade

No answer still ?

Quote Originally Posted by melina.hoffmann98791708 View Post
    Hi Guys!

I'm currently trying to construct the lenses for the facade of the institut du monde arabe. The lenses should also open and close as I later want to connect it to the sun with the help of dynamo. My question now is how can I construct the elements that open and close? I had already tried something with the angle function, but it didn't work ...
    I would be happy to receive ideas and feedback!

best regards

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: institut du monde arabe facade

The Institut du Monde Arabe lenses are an iconic feature of the building, and I can understand why you'd want to recreate them in a Revit model. To create elements that can open and close, you'll need to use the Family Editor in Revit and create a family with a parameter that controls the opening and closing behavior.

Here's a general outline of the steps you'll need to follow:

Create a generic model family: Start by creating a generic model family for one of the lenses. The model should be created with the assumption that it will be fully open.

Add a parameter: Next, add a parameter to the family that will control the opening and closing behavior of the lens. This parameter should be a type of "Instance" or "Type" parameter, depending on whether you want the opening and closing behavior to be the same for all instances of the family, or if you want to be able to control it on a per-instance basis.

Modify the geometry: Modify the geometry of the lens so that it can be controlled by the parameter you created. For example, you might create a sweep that is positioned and sized based on the parameter value.

Test the parameter: Test the parameter by changing its value and observing the effect on the lens geometry.

Repeat for all lenses: Repeat the steps above for each of the lenses in the facade.

Connect to Dynamo: Finally, you can use Dynamo to control the opening and closing behavior of the lenses based on the sun's position.