Thread: Make Autocad using Remote Desktop better

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Make Autocad using Remote Desktop better

Summary: It would be very helpful if Autocad could be made to work better over Remote Desktop.

Description: With so many using Autocad remotely during the pandemic, it would be very helpful if Autocad could be made to work better over Remote Desktop. Autocad is very "laggy" and difficult to use and it doesn't seem to matter if the internet connections are fast or not. Trying to snap to points can be maddening - and tiring. I've tried all the various tips that have been published on the internet, some help a little but Autocad is still too difficult to use well remotely. Revit works just fine over RDP so why can't something be done for Autocad?

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Internet

Submitted By: edeleon on 09/21/2020

We have hundreds of people using AutoCAD and Civil 3D over RDP with no problems.

Of course it's not 100% of the "sitting at the desktop" experience, but it's usable.

It very much depends on the network connections. Home internet, VPN, every switch, router, etc. between the user and the host PC.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I've got a pretty good connection, and C3D is much more responsive, vs working on a local version of ACAD connecting to company resources via VPN. As RK says, not 100%, but a lot better than expected.

My biggest issue, which just started today, is the single mouse click being treated as a double-click. Irritating.....

I discovered that disabling the remote video card works for ACAD to not be sluggish via RDP ... actually ACAD won't run at all with the video card enabled.

System > Device Manager > Display Adapters => Right-click on video card and select "Disable". When I'm running 2 monitors on RDP, I've found the mouse gets glitchy initially, but disconnecting & reconnecting RDP fixes that.

And of course when I'm in the office on that machine I have to re-enable or both monitors don't work and email typing (probably other software too) is really slow.