See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Open DWG with current Civil 3D through Windows instead of outdated version

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Open DWG with current Civil 3D through Windows instead of outdated version

Double clicked from window a Civ3D dwg that had been saved with 2021 but the file tried opened with 2018. Is there a way to get newest version to be default when double clicking a dwg in windows?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open DWG with current Civil 3D through Windows instead of outdated version

uninstall all the others??

or hardwire the .dwg filetype with the full path to 2021 (plus whatever arguments you need)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open DWG with current Civil 3D through Windows instead of outdated version

I know this is not what you want to hear, but open Civil 3D 2021 first, then drag+drop the DWG file onto the Command Line or the Title Bar.
    That is the only 100% guaranteed method.

You can try the methods outlined online in various places, but none of them (in my experience) work as intended, all the time.

I have a test PC with dozens of different versions of AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map, AutoCAD LT, Civil 3D, etc. and I would never rely on the O/S to pick the right version for me.

Cheers
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

By default AutoCAD Drawing Launcher is used when double-clicking a dwg file in File Explorer which should open it in the last AutoCAD dwg software application that was opened. It has nothing to do with what version it was saved in.
    DWG file type associativity in Windows https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...n-Windows.html

Autodesk recommends always opening DWGs from within the program but dragging a DWG file from Windows Explorer onto the correct AutoCAD program icon will work as well: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...D-Product.html

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    ... dragging a DWG file from Windows Explorer onto the correct AutoCAD program icon will work as well: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...D-Product.html
    If you have the 2021 Icon pinned to your taskbar in Windows, then drag from File Mangler onto the icon, that will open the dwg in 2021. Just make sure the icon you have pinned has the correct profile switch set before ;pinning it if you use multiple profiles.