Thread: Taking Local Copy

Login to Give a bone

Default Taking Local Copy

Hi all
    i am Shahid
    I have seen two method of working, i would like to know which one is correct from each of the the below points.

1.1: Taking a new local from a central file as you make a single click on central file and select option for new local and open it.

1.2: making a copy of a central file and pasting on desktop or other location then working from this file, and synch back to actual revit file.

what is the difference in both of these method. the modeler told me that when he works in second method no error or crash happens when multiple people do synchronization. please explain pros and cons of this.

2.1 making a new central file by opening as detatched and save it in new location.
    2.2 opening the central file and then selecting save as option, new project. then click on the option and select as make new central.

which one is better , and what is difference in these two methods.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Taking Local Copy

Quote Originally Posted by AbdulShaheed View Post
    Hi all
    i am Shahid
    I have seen two method of working, i would like to know which one is correct from each of the the below points.

1.1: Taking a new local from a central file as you make a single click on central file and select option for new local and open it.

1.2: making a copy of a central file and pasting on desktop or other location then working from this file, and synch back to actual revit file.

what is the difference in both of these method. the modeler told me that when he works in second method no error or crash happens when multiple people do synchronization. please explain pros and cons of this.

2.1 making a new central file by opening as detatched and save it in new location.
    2.2 opening the central file and then selecting save as option, new project. then click on the option and select as make new central.

which one is better , and what is difference in these two methods.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Well I'm not a "Revit Expert" but I know that (when using work sharing = central file/local file) it's not wise to simply copy a central or local file somewhere and expect it to go well.

For the first two, it appears you want to make a local copy to work on and sync back to central?
    You should be using your 1.1 method, the central file is where it belongs and revit knows where to put the local file.
    You should not be using 1.2 method, If you copy a central file to some location, it will only confuse things and you will have issues.

For the second two, it appears you're trying to move the central file to a new location or fix (overwrite) a central file?
    This can be done either way but you need to be careful, you shouldn't be moving a central file from where it belongs (you don't want copies of the central file).
    In either case, you need to select the option of "make central file after saving" but if the other one still exists, it may cause confusion.

Maybe other AUGI people out there have better advice.

Login to Give a bone

Ok I'm not 100% sure what the question is.

In a workshared model, you have central file and a local file. You never want to work in the Central file as others won't be able to save changes or the file you're working in (the central) will become outdated.

The central file should be stored on your network drive. When you want to work on that file you should create a new local file every time.
    The local file is typically stored on your c drive, but you can set the location elsewhere if you need to. I would never copy the central to create a local. This was a method that some people used about 10yrs ago, but typically caused a lot of issues. Creating a new local file will ensure you're file is always up to date. I would also suggest never picking on the file shown on your splash screen as it's difficult to tell if you just opened a central or opened an old local. I would also never put models on your desktop. Windows needs to load all of that into your cache which will decrease performance. So Yes, best method is to open/create a new local everyday, I'd suggest picking on the audit function as well. Save back to the central and compact every 30 mins. Or I say as often as you don't want to loose work.

The second method of creating a new central file eliminates the option of having anyone else work in the model as you'd be overwriting changes, and saving them back. So if no one else ever needs to work in the model, there's no point in creating worksets.

If you ever copy a central or local file (from windows file explorer) and paste it in a different location, revit will want to look back to the file it was copied from as a central. If you copy and paste a local file you're basically done as it now thinks what was a local is a central and it's not.

I've been using Workshared models since 2006, if you have questions let me know.

Login to Give a bone

So Yes, best method is to open/create a new local everyday, I'd suggest picking on the audit function as well. Save back to the central and compact every 30 mins. Or I say as often as you don't want to loose work.

Why create a new local file everyday?