Thread: Client Not Able to Open CAD Drawings

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Client Not Able to Open CAD Drawings

Hello All,

I have a client that wants CAD drawings of the pdf bid package that I put together for them. I created the bid package in AutoCAD Plant 3D with ortho views. One sheet had xrefs attached. I performed the eTransmit command and then made sure the one dwg that had xrefs was mapped correctly to the specific xrefs and emailed the zipped folder of CAD dwgs to them. Now, they are having trouble opening the files. They get an error message stating that "File not found - C:\USERS\DMEREDITH\DOCUMENTS\TEST.SHX". I understand that this is a shape file or font text, but they should still be able to open the dwgs with no ill affects. Questions:

1. How do I find and delete the .shx file?
    2. They are running Dessault Systems, could that be a reason why they are having trouble since I created all of the dwgs using Autodesk AutoCAD? If so, do I need to create a STEP file of all of the dwgs?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Client Not Able to Open CAD Drawings

I think you'll want to export the Plant drawings to vanilla AutoCAD, and then purge etc to try and get rid of the missing .shx

While autocad product will continue opening drawings with missing .shx files, I have no reason to think that Dassault products can do that.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

TEST.SHX is needed or they wouldn't have gotten the error message. Why not simply send them the TEST.SHX file? No matter if it's a font, referenced in a linetype, or whatever it's not going to display correctly and could be an issue if it causes the drawing to be interpreted incorrectly.

Login to Give a bone

well, it's referenced somewhere. that doesn't necessarily mean it's _needed_. The reference could well be buried in a style somewhere in the Plant template, but never used. When I purge unused style from a typical C3D drawing here to send out, I'll generally have a couple of hundred styles, with their dependent blocks, fonts, shapes, layers etc.

Even worse when I am dealing with external files, as at least I've tried to keep my template clean, when I get something with multiple bound / inserted / exploded Xrefs -- it gets fugly fast.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It appears their software will not open the drawing as is. The only two options I see are either finding and removing every reference to TEST.SHX in the drawing and resending it to them or simply providing the TEST.SHX file.

They really need to update the eTransmit command to automatically add any dependent files not installed with AutoCAD software.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post

They really need to update the eTransmit command to automatically add any dependent files not installed with AutoCAD software.
    Are you suggesting that it does not do that now?
    I've never seen this problem with eTransmit. Was a bug introduced at some point? Thanks.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Probably need to look at the eTransmit text file looking for a "Not Found" message -- if TEST.shx doesn't exist on the OP's computer, etransmit can't package it up. And with a name like TEST, I'd be leery about it even being real...