Thread: Revision Cloud Enhancements (What's New in 2021)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revision Cloud Enhancements (What's New in 2021)

I did not see any recent post about the changes in the way revcloud works. A couple notable things is that the arch lengths vary on their own accord, and a bigger issue for the way we use revcloud is that the overall size of the arcs are not changing based on the dimstyle. Something it did nicely before. We set the arc length to 2'-0" and revcloud adjusted automatically when you went from, for instance, (drawing 1:1) 1/8" scale to 1/2" scale in MS.

I did a little reading, but Autodesk did not seems to admit to the change. They did tell us how to get rid of the varying arclengths:

"You can control whether the chord lengths of the arcs can have greater variation or are generally more uniform with the REVCLOUDARCVARIANCE system variable. Turning this system variable OFF restores the previous way that revision clouds are created, while leaving it ON results in a more hand-drawn appearance."

Has anyone else experienced this? and has anyone found if there's a system variable or other place that I'm missing to change these settings?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revision Cloud Enhancements (What's New in 2021)

By default the arc lengths are sized in a new drawing to the current view: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...56E70-htm.html
    You can change the arc chord length of a selected revision cloud object either in the Properties palette, from its shortcut menu, or with the new REVCLOUDPROPERTIES command.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    By default the arc lengths are sized in a new drawing to the current view: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...56E70-htm.html
    You can change the arc chord length of a selected revision cloud object either in the Properties palette, from its shortcut menu, or with the new REVCLOUDPROPERTIES command.
    Thanks Tom, you are correct. That is what Autodesk is telling us. I read that, but it's not helpful in addressing the issue I'm having/pointing out. So, what does that mean? Does that mean that if I'm zoomed in and make a revcloud, it's going to come out different than if i'm zoomed out. It does not (in a drawing with the arclength set). I tried. Perhaps I just don't understand what Autodesk means by "The first time a revision cloud is created in a drawing, the size of the arcs are determined based on percentage the diagonal length of the current view. This ensures that the revision cloud starts at a reasonable size."

To me that means at the first launch of Autocad 2021 (or perhaps a default acad template or completely blank drawing), revcloud makes an object such that it's identifiable as a revcloud and not either massive or miniature arcs, visually. Once you size the arclength however, like in a template file, it's set. Beyond that, the issue is that the revcloud command no longer adjusts the arclength per the dimstyle as I described in my original post.

If you put your revclouds in PS, then it's a non-issue, but not everyone operates that way. To me, the revclouds belong surrounding the object in MS which changed, and that can mean different scales (linework drawn 1:1).

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by derek.96018 View Post
    Thanks Tom, you are correct. That is what Autodesk is telling us. I read that, but it's not helpful in addressing the issue I'm having/pointing out. So, what does that mean? Does that mean that if I'm zoomed in and make a revcloud, it's going to come out different than if i'm zoomed out. It does not (in a drawing with the arclength set). I tried. Perhaps I just don't understand what Autodesk means by "The first time a revision cloud is created in a drawing, the size of the arcs are determined based on percentage the diagonal length of the current view. This ensures that the revision cloud starts at a reasonable size."

To me that means at the first launch of Autocad 2021 (or perhaps a default acad template or completely blank drawing), revcloud makes an object such that it's identifiable as a revcloud and not either massive or miniature arcs, visually. Once you size the arclength however, like in a template file, it's set. Beyond that, the issue is that the revcloud command no longer adjusts the arclength per the dimstyle as I described in my original post.

If you put your revclouds in PS, then it's a non-issue, but not everyone operates that way. To me, the revclouds belong surrounding the object in MS which changed, and that can mean different scales (linework drawn 1:1).
    As a rule I was taught to do annotations last after layouts and viewports are completed with annotation scales set. From the link it's set "The first time a revision cloud is created in a drawing" so I'd add the drawing's first revcloud on a layout inside a viewport (in modelspace).

Still pretty buggy, wish it was simply set up to work with PSLTSCALE so like linetypes the arcs would display the same drawn in PS as MS by default and would generally work for everything but this poorly thought-out command has been modified too many times already (remember 2 arc lengths, the Express Tool & the calligraphy style that was added and taken away twice through the years?).

For the rare occasions I've added them it was always with a lisp command though the system variables for those don't exist anymore.