Thread: DRAFTING & LEGEND viewtypes should be merged

Wish List Administration

Default Re: DRAFTING & LEGEND viewtypes should be merged

Summary: DRAFTING & LEGEND viewtypes should be merged, giving them the advantages of both

Description: DRAFTING / LEGEND views should be merged into a single view type, if only drafting views supported placement on multiple sheets, and if DETAIL/CALLOUTS allowed referencing to legends.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: krzystoff on 11/05/2020

I don't see how this would help and suspect that it would cause many more problems than it would solve. Except for key plans, legends should be showing just material symbols and abbreviations. What does this wish fix? I don't want drafting views on multiple sheets. That would mess up callouts.

100 Club

I should expand on the issue -- the problem with Legends is that they don't allow you to place modelled elements, (except for very primitive 2D symbols of some family types). If you want to create a wall type legend for example, you must trace the walls in all of their finest detail in a plan view, then copy and paste the filled regions into a Legend, which can then be tagged and dimensioned, but the result is non-parametric and if any aspect changes you must repeat the process again with no reliability that parts don't get missed. Achieving this in a detail callout view skips several steps and the resulting wall and parts can still be tagged both a types, keynotes, multicategory tags, as well as remaining fully parametric and smart. However this view can only be placed on a single sheet (notwithstanding dependent views which have their own limitations); there are numerous other examples in projects where this same workflow issue occurs.
    Legends are somewhat useful, but they lack so much functionality, it seems more prudent to replace them altogether than fix their hundred+ shortcomings, which would be solved just by to work like a detail callout.

100 Club

I can understand the issue you are having but a better fix would just be to allow the 2D legend components to be dimensioned and also have things be able to be aligned and locked to all the layer faces (allow you to lock a stud detail item to the the line of the stud within the wall).
    It has also been requested several times (mostly for furniture schedules) to allow 3D views as an option for legend components.
    It would also be nice to have the ability to have a legend component within a schedule.

100 Club

Quote Originally Posted by marmiketin View Post
    I can understand the issue you are having but a better fix would just be to allow the 2D legend components to be dimensioned and also have things be able to be aligned and locked to all the layer faces (allow you to lock a stud detail item to the the line of the stud within the wall).
    It has also been requested several times (mostly for furniture schedules) to allow 3D views as an option for legend components.
    It would also be nice to have the ability to have a legend component within a schedule.
    I had added a wish for this several years ago, but despite the support for the changes there has been no traction from Autodesk, which suggests they are unwilling or unable to find a way to fix that problem. Above I have proposed another avenue to help make the software more workable, and I suspect from Autodesk's POV this should be a simpler code tweak.