Thread: How can I get a face-based family nested in a generic or specialty equip family to still report elevation?

Login to Give a bone

Default How can I get a face-based family nested in a generic or specialty equip family to still report elevation?

I see that the face-based system level family will automatically report elevation under the constraints field. However, when it is nested, it no longer reports. I had to nest this family to get it to always be vertical. Is there a work-around for this? Also, is it possible to pull account type info from the hosting element in the reporting of a family, again in a nested family, or is that going to have to be a dynamo routine? Thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How can I get a face-based family nested in a generic or specialty equip family to still report elevation?

Make the height of the faced based family a parameter that is linked into the host family.
    As for the Identity Data such as manufacturer and other things available in project, those cannot be reported in the family.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How can I get a face-based family nested in a generic or specialty equip family to still report elevation?

How would I go about that? All the items in my family at the ref level are locked to it, so when I try to add even a zero-dimension parameter there, it over-constrains it...the other items are variable, above and below. Thanks for the reply.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry for the late reply.

You would need to remove all the constraints in the family that are associated to the ref level. Then you would add a new horizontal ref plane above the ref level. Now constrain all the items previously associated to the ref level to the new ref plane. Finally add a dimension between the ref plan and ref level and make it a parameter.