See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: XRef layer properties do not change.

Login to Give a bone

Default XRef layer properties do not change.

I have XRefed a drawing into my main drawing. XREFOVERRIDE and VISRETAIN variables are both set to 1 in my main drawing. But when I change the layer properties like color or linetype of the XRefed drawing, I do not see the change on the drawing or even plot preview. I WBlocked the XRef drawing with a new name, detached it from the main drawing and re-inserted it as an XRef, but the same result.
    One thing I have noticed is that when I change a layer property of the XRefed drawing, the commandline shows the 'invalid option keyword' error. If I change multiple properties together, I get that many lines of the 'invalid option keyword' error.
    I do not know what is happening here. Please help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XRef layer properties do not change.

Quote Originally Posted by aksha528601 View Post
    I have XRefed a drawing into my main drawing. XREFOVERRIDE and VISRETAIN variables are both set to 1 in my main drawing. But when I change the layer properties like color or linetype of the XRefed drawing, I do not see the change on the drawing or even plot preview. I WBlocked the XRef drawing with a new name, detached it from the main drawing and re-inserted it as an XRef, but the same result.
    One thing I have noticed is that when I change a layer property of the XRefed drawing, the commandline shows the 'invalid option keyword' error. If I change multiple properties together, I get that many lines of the 'invalid option keyword' error.
    I do not know what is happening here. Please help.
    Hello there, I'm not sure I understand the second part of your post, but what you describe on the first part makes sense to me, and is what it should do (unless I'm not understanding correctly).

You have a "main drawing" that you xref a drawing into (we'll call it "drawing B")
    You have visretain and xrefoveride set to 1 (I hardly use xrefoveride).
    You make changes to layers in "drawing B".
    While in "main drawing" you reload "drawing B" and you don't see the changes.

That is what I would expect.
    visretain set to "1" has already locked in the settings (only new layers in "drawing B" would appear not overridden the first time you reload the xref)
    You would have to set visretain back to "0" zero and reload the xref to have "drawing B" show up as it exists, which you usually don't want to do if you have a lot of overrides set.

(unless you mean you changed the layer properties to the xref layer settings while in the "main drawing", than I don't know what would cause your problem)

Login to Give a bone

Ted, Thank you for your reply.
    I am not supposed to make changes to the XRefed 'Drawing B' because the same drawing is used by other disciplines as XRef in their drawings. So, While i am working on my 'Main Drawing', I use layer manager to modify layers of XRefed 'Drawing B'.

Login to Give a bone

I have found out that setting the system variable LAYERDLGMODE to 1 sorted out my problem.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...5C54D-htm.html

Legacy Drawings and Xref Layer Property Overrides Settings
    If you have a legacy drawing, which you opened in AutoCAD 2018.1 or later versions, any changes to the referenced layer property will not get updated automatically in the current drawing regardless of what value you have set for your VISRETAINMODE sysvar (changed the default value). This behavior ensures that anytime you open a drawing that is authored in an earlier version of AutoCAD 2018.1, it maintains the visual fidelity between AutoCAD 2018.1 and previous AutoCAD releases and there is no change in behavior.

To make VISRETAINMODE take effect for legacy drawings, you need to save the current drawing in AutoCAD 2018.1 and reload the xref drawing to see the changes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aksha528601 View Post
    Ted, Thank you for your reply.
    I am not supposed to make changes to the XRefed 'Drawing B' because the same drawing is used by other disciplines as XRef in their drawings. So, While i am working on my 'Main Drawing', I use layer manager to modify layers of XRefed 'Drawing B'.
    Yes, that makes sense, as you should.
    My last comment was referring to that, which is what I would do for the reasons you mentioned.

Glad you figured it out.