See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Civil 3D 2021 - Alignment Label - parameter - "Perpendicular Direction"

Login to Give a bone

Question Civil 3D 2021 - Alignment Label - parameter - "Perpendicular Direction"

There is a parameter for the "Station Offset" label called "perpendicular direction". This gives the direction from the Alignment to the Station Offset location.
    NEED: I need to get this function into the Structure Labels, but it is not there in the drop down list. I have developed expressions for labeling Station and Offset in our Profile View but without knowing the angle to the perpendicular connection to the alignment, my expression only works with an alignment with 0 rotation. I have tested by manually getting the number from the Station Offset style and plugging it in and it works perfectly. I need to get this parameter into the options when editing Structure Labels. I can provide more information or examples if someone can help with this. Thanks!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D 2021 - Alignment Label - parameter - "Perpendicular Direction"

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but Station and Offset are available in the structure label editor, so there's no need to do an expression or try to calculate anything...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D 2021 - Alignment Label - parameter - "Perpendicular Direction"

Hi cadtag, we are showing a standard GRATE in the plan view of the Structure. The issue occurs when rotating the structure to line the grate up to the FLOW LINE in the design. The expression I'm talking about takes the Station and Offset of the Structure, then calculates the Station and Offset to the GRATE. In order to do this, the "perpendicular direction" needs to be known to compensate for the angle of the offset to the alignment at that station. The "alignment" Station and Offset have this parameter but the Structure Labels do not. I need to add that parameter to the options when editing Structure Labels. Example Rotated Grate.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Offset from an alignment is measured in a perpendicular direction from the alignment ... so wouldn't the offset to the grate simply be an additional amount added to the offset of the structure's insertion point? This additional amount value could be embedded in the structure's definition such that a single label style could work with multiple structure sizes with varying insertion point to grate dimensions.
    Last edited by MMccall; 2020-12-14 at 09:44 PM.

Login to Give a bone

The Structure Rotation Angle has to be added to the "perpendicular direction". I've already entered that angle to the expression manually and it works perfectly, but the Structure Label has to have all the information in the style. Hence, I need to grab the "perpendicular direction" of the Structure Offset. Maybe this graphic helps...Example Rotated Grate2.JPG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

How about editing the structure so its insertion point will be located at the point on the grate where you need the station and offset?

The insert location can be relocated using Partbuilder. Its the Layout Data under Autolayout Data. Right click on it and choose Select Placement Point ...

Login to Give a bone

Won't work. We have multiple locations for the grate. Both edges of the grate can be the Station location depending on if the structure is rotated 180 degrees. Also, we also need the CENTER of the grate to be on the flowline at times. So essentially we have 4 possible locations for the structure in relation to the flowline. What I need is that "perpendicular direction" parameter, the last piece of this puzzle.

Login to Give a bone

Is that a label style you are using to label the structure D3 in your earlier post? If so, what type of label is it? Could you share a sample drawing?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt