Thread: Set Workset by Category

Default Set Workset by Category

I'm surprised there aren't more Dynamo threads.... I thought this would be bigger than LISP.

First, I'm a foodservice consultant, not an architect. Most of my Revit wrangling is getting it to do things that it wasn't primarily designed for. I want to use Dynamo much in the same way that I used LISP, write a small routine to automate repetitive tasks with the prime intent of eliminating error.

Much like layers, I find many of our objects on the wrong workset. I find the fastest way is to switch to the home 3D view, select everything, save that selection, and switch back to a much less intensive view. Then, I reload that selection set, use the filter to select categories of objects, change their workset, and repeat. I also saw an out-of-date Dynamo package that even created a set of worksets based on a list. This only needs to be done once a project, so i'm less concerned with that automation.

Does anyone know what command, or how to write one, that can filter a selection set based on category then assign a workset?

Thanks in advance for any advice
    stu

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Set Workset by Category

Most Dynamo people I know just go to the source...the forums at Dynamo.org. You'd have to borrow all the elements to act (Dynamo) on them otherwise it will fail on elements you can't borrow. Also you won't be able to change the workset on sub-elements (children) like mullions, curtain grids, balusters and so on. Those are defined by their parent. So you have to filter out those before you'll be able to alter the workset parameter.

Fwiw, given your discipline, you could probably manage just fine with one workset for model elements. Worksets exist to allow concurrent multi-user access.

In the beginning worksets were meant to be associated with roles/tasks so individual users could edit "their stuff" freely. However when they introduced element borrowing that purpose was essentially eliminated. Now you can just borrow the elements you need to work on as long as another person isn't already editing it. In the old days you had to borrow your shelf so you could read your books. Now you can just grab a book on any shelf and there can just be one shelf. The compelling reasons to have multiple worksets have more to do with how a model is used. For example, linked models can be demand loaded when a unique workset is associated with it. When a building is large we can segment workset assignments to allow for demand loading of elements to focus our PC's resources on the relevant scope at hand. In those context assigning elements to a workset based on their category is meaningless.

Filters were created to give us control over elements beyond mere category or workset relationships. For example, disciplines share the mechanical category and have their unique visibility requirements so Filters allow one discipline to focus on plumbing mechanical components while another can care more about HVAC components. Same is true for the Specialty Equipment category. Different use cases for components assigned to them can be defined with Filters so View Templates provide deeper control over their appearance in views. Elements can only belong to a single workset or category but Filters are based on data that each component can have that makes them unique.

Like Current Layer in AutoCAD users need to be aware of and pay attention to the Active Workset. An ounce of prevention...
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2020-12-24 at 11:30 PM.

Default Re: Set Workset by Category

This is really a different way to say what Steve said: Why are you needing to assign categories to their own worksets? If it is to manage visibility, I suggest looking into View Templates and Filters. This will give you much more stable control of the visibility/graphics of the model elements.

Architecturally, we only use two worksets for our scope: Levels & Grids and _workset1. I can see why MEP might have separate worksets for each discipline, but we manage just fine with VTs and Filters. I do use separate worksets for consultant links, but most of the time they are all loaded & visible.