Thread: Guideline stretch move copy

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Guideline stretch move copy

Summary: Guideline stretch move copy

Description: If i move, strech or copy a item i see a yellow stripped line to show me in wich direction i work.

Often i have to move, copy or strech it is 90 degrees (or another choosen Polar degree) from the original, but when Ortho is off there is a possibillity that i move, copy or strech a item not in a 90 degree line, but with a little deviation, wiyhout knowing it.

Is it possible to use an other colour when ortho is off or when its is moved, copied or streched not along a choosen Polar line (90/45/15 degrees), so we can see instantly that the action is not liniear as we want (of course if we watch the screen).

Preferable yellow or green when Ortho on and red when Ortho off?.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Help

Submitted By: s.freie785228 on 02/10/2021

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Just move the curser around to see if you're in Ortho.
    If the icon isn't highlighted on the Status Bar you're not in Ortho.
    If the curser isn't perfectly lined up with that dashed line you are in Ortho.

Rebuilding AutoCAD in an attempt to make it even more obvious for one user is not a reasonable option and it defeats the purpose it was created for.

Deat Tom, sometimes we work that fast that we can't always check if our Ortho is on or off, we only look at what we do, aans an other colour would alarm you instead.

It would be very useful for us not only me, but thanks for your supply, you obvious dont need it.

The fundamental issue with relying on color as the clue is that 10% or more of the population has varying degrees of color blindness. And, if you are working so fast you can't make the effort to do it right, you're doing CAD wrong

Als thanks for the Reply, it will be a challange indeed to work witk AutoCad when you have a colour blindness, but that's not the point here.

If you want to comment on an idea, please ays somthing fundamental, i just made a wish, not youre wish.

I know there are more users withe this issue and for us it's a good wish.

Per your wish, the guideline is already included in the move, stretch, and copy commands. It may also be in other commands that I have not tested.

In addition to the guideline, a dynamic display is attached to the cursor when ortho is being used. This dynamic display states Ortho and the angle and distance away from the original picked point.

The status icon in the status bar for ortho is also color toggled when enabled. Ortho can be temporarily toggled on/off using the shift key during a command. This temporary toggle also changes the status icon in the status bar.

In reference to Polar tracking, an additional extension guideline is provided when on the specified additional angles.

Therefore, this wish is already in the software with additional features.

The version tested was AutoCAD 2018.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Thanks for the reply, indeed there is a guideline, but i would be very handy for us, if it would change colour when youre not in Ortho.

Its impossible for us to constant check wheter the command is on or ofh.

When we move or copy something, we select and drag it immidiatly to the side where we want it and then we usually enter manually the distance, so we dont look always at the screen, but also a lot at the keyboard.

When Ortho is off en we move to right or left wich is almost at 90 degrees, we dont always see that it is not 90 degrees, but a bit off.

Therfore it was my wish (idea) to use an other colour, we immidiatly see that, instead of always the same colour.

I know, everbody has a other way of drawing, therefor i made a wish, wich is not an mustdo, but maybe there are more users who have this problem, who knows.

Thats the wish, and thanks for the reply.

Another workflow method is to use keyboard input to move. I typically type in a horizontal coordinate change when moving/copying items to work on outside of the main area. This allows me to not worry about ortho setting nor osnaps.

Example keyboard strokes would be ...
    Code:
    Command: move
    (select objects to move)
    Specify base point or [Displacement] <Displacement>: -25,0 {press enter}
    Specify second point or <use first point as displacement>: {press enter}
    Then to move the items back, I would change the displacement to a positive coordinate horizontally from the previous coordinate input.

Also, if looking at the keyboard to complete work more than the screen, thus making this wish moot, as no visual changes would be present on the keyboard.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt