Thread: Draw Floor Plan in 2D with some Z-Values

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Draw Floor Plan in 2D with some Z-Values

Something to ponder ....

I want to provide a floor plan view with two storeys for coordination where the main floor is at 0,0,0 coordinates and the second floor is 0,0,12' coordinates. Inserting the two XREFS at elevation 0,0,0 and 0,0,12' respectively.

Does anyone know how to view the 0,0,0 view only, then the 0,0,12' view by itself without the need of layer manipulation?

Using Revit you would set your view depth to subtract the lower level and vise-versa. Does AutoCAD have that option?

I know that some are asking yourself "why on earth you you want this?". I am just a fool playing around is the answer I give.

Theo

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Draw Floor Plan in 2D with some Z-Values

Put the XREF files on separate layers in your drawing. Then freeze the layer containing the floor you do not want to see.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

thanks Opie, I think that is solution. We tried using straight blocks to do the same thing - each floor plan was a block using same layers then the block was placed on a "floor" layer. the challenge was the extra layer managing thru the viewport that caused some frustration. I think that this would smooth things over with the Team.

Am still interested to know if someone has more insight on depth viewing in AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

If you install the AutoCAD Architecture toolset, it draws the walls in 3D like Revit and you set the cut plane to define what to see.

Oops, I see your title deals with 2D. The problem with 2D is that you're going to see all lines that are "layered". The only mechanism to deal with it other than layers is draworder. For something above to obscure objects below it, you need to use solids, 3D. With 2D, Opie's answer is the best.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2021-02-25 at 06:14 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

yes, I see your point Ed. I ran Opie's comment by someone from my team and feels the same way that you do. I believe that situation is resolved. Unless...... new ideas are discovered.