Thread: Drawing on layers that will not print - faded display

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Drawing on layers that will not print - faded display

Summary: When drawing on layers that will not print out could the display color be slightly faded or give some kind of indication that it will not print on this layer.

Description: When drawing on layers that will not print out, due to the layer plot function being turned off in the layer manager, could the drawing display color be slightly faded or give some kind of indication that the line, dimension or text will not print out when printed when the object is created. We use layer 0, defpoints & Amviews layers as turned off print layers but occasionally one of the might be used accidently in the drawing and its very frustrating to go back to find and change the objects on the wrong layer. If it showed when initially drawn the it would be a lot easier.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Layer

Submitted By: STEPHEN.GAMBLE791944 on 03/01/2021

Not a bad idea, but I don't know how you would expect Autodesk to know which layers you don't want to plot to build that in.
    I think it's a lot to ask, for something that is handled with some standards and templates.

Are you thinking if the "no plot" setting is checked, the layer will automatically be faded?
    "defpoints" doesn't even have the option, it's a built in layer that will never plot.
    Layer zero shouldn't be used for drawing at all (except for block line work and such).

It's actually easier/better to have standards and procedures that everyone uses at your company, templates with layers already set.
    You could set all your "no plot layers" up to be faded/screened or whatever, so it will be obvious to those working in them.

Pick one color out of the 256 index colors, and set that as the color for all non-plotting layers, *NPLT

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Yes - It would be easy for them to check the "no plot" setting to activate the fade and just add the defpoints layer in as permanent setting. Even just a line of text on the command line saying "This is on a nonplot layer" would be sufficient instead of a fade.
    We have over 75000 drawings in our system as well as thousands of contractor drawings. It would be very difficult to set up a standard that would take into account all the old and new drawings as well as contractor drawings. I personally make changes to at least 10 old drawings each week without the other drafties efforts. That is why I have made this suggestion.

Yea, I can sorta see a use -- but fade is already used for locked layers and xref drawings, so having the same visual effect for yet another layer property seems confusing. One approach would be to use a custom routine that sets transparency to some percentage for all non-plot layers. Similar result, but not quite the same thing,

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHEN.GAMBLE791944 View Post
    Yes - It would be easy for them to check the "no plot" setting to activate the fade and just add the defpoints layer in as permanent setting. Even just a line of text on the command line saying "This is on a nonplot layer" would be sufficient instead of a fade.
    We have over 75000 drawings in our system as well as thousands of contractor drawings. It would be very difficult to set up a standard that would take into account all the old and new drawings as well as contractor drawings. I personally make changes to at least 10 old drawings each week without the other drafties efforts. That is why I have made this suggestion.
    I'm just throwing this out there, I would think a nice little lisp routine could find all existing "NPLT" layers (and/or make new ones) and change the properties to what you're looking for (as well as change "defpoints").
    It could automatically run every time a drawing is open by anyone, such as in an "acaddoc.lsp" and so would take care of existing and future drawings within your company.

It's a little over my head but I think it could be done.