See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New Hardware "VS" Old Software

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question New Hardware "VS" Old Software

I just upgrade my old HP xw9400 workstation with a new HP Z6 G4 Workstation. I am a perpetual license owner, I use AutoCAD Architecture 2013 and 3D Max Design 2012. I am praying that I can continue to use my old software. Someone, please tell me it will not be an issue.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Hardware "VS" Old Software

Autodesk has decided to disable older versions of the software by not issuing authorization codes. your old code wont' work with your new hardware, so will not run.

Feel free to sue them, or urge the Library of Congress to allow legal owners of the software to break the artificial restrictions.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure what brand disk drive (SSD?) you're using, but Samsung offers a Data Migration tool that lets you clone an entire disk (OS, apps, settings, etc) from any disk onto a Samsung SSD.

You literally set the source disk, the target disk (only works with Samsung disks), takes +/- 5-10 mins then it shuts down the computer - rearrange your setup (hardware configuration and/or BIOS) so that the target disk is the boot disk in your new workstation and you're done (everything works as it did before, even the computer name is the same, etc although you may need to leave & rejoin the AD domain).

From a performance & cost standpoint, the Samsung 970 PRO M.2 SSD is still the best bang for the buck I've seen for 250GB-1TB NVMe disks.

I'm sure there are other ways to go about this (create a backup, restore from backup, etc) but none that are faster to change the actual physical disk.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

different cpu, network card id, disk, graphics motherboard (and OS?) -- how many things can change before the authorization daemon decides it's a different installation and the prior code is invalid? swapping a disk out in the old machine will almost certainly not trigger a requirement for a new authorization, but swapping machines certainly will.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    different cpu, network card id, disk, graphics motherboard (and OS?) -- how many things can change before the authorization daemon decides it's a different installation and the prior code is invalid? swapping a disk out in the old machine will almost certainly not trigger a requirement for a new authorization, but swapping machines certainly will.
    I admittedly don't know - as we are on Subscription and do not encounter these situations.

If that doesn't work, then one need only run Disk2vhd to convert the old physical computer to a new VM disk that can be run from Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise).

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

now that's a good thought. My personal perpetual use license is Map 2018 -- and by the time I feel compelled to replace my home machine, 2018 authorization will be a distant memory, (replace the motherboard pre-covid, so it's still running decently (with a sucky graphics card). I really ought to play around with that and see if I can make a portable map,,,,

Thanks!! (and maybe it will help the OP keep running)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    now that's a good thought. My personal perpetual use license is Map 2018 -- and by the time I feel compelled to replace my home machine, 2018 authorization will be a distant memory, (replace the motherboard pre-covid, so it's still running decently (with a sucky graphics card). I really ought to play around with that and see if I can make a portable map,,,,

Thanks!! (and maybe it will help the OP keep running)
    Happy to help!

I initially began using Disk2Vhd to quickly convert all of our legacy WinXP machines that were running ICPRv3 (the one with the USB hardlocks) to Hyper-V VMs, so engineers could remote into them from inside or outside the office (nights & weekends), as somewhere back on Win8.1 remote access (which was working in Win7) was broken, and Win10 didn't fix that... So, since the County still requires ICPRv3 (ICPRv4 is multi-threaded, runs on server, etc), the only way I could speed it up for engineers was to host the VMs on our repurposed old servers (still runs faster on our new Win10 workstations though).

To get the USB hardlocks to map correctly, we use USB Redirector.

Cheers

Computer Specs: