See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to create random but "inline" stipple line or hatch pattern

Login to Give a bone

Default How to create random but "inline" stipple line or hatch pattern

Good Day / Evening All

Im turned to forum advice and I really hope someone can help me.

I have to create 13 wall panels that will be laser cut. The panel drawings were done in Inventor and I'm editing the flat pattern in Autocad. If you look at the attached images of one of these panels you will get the idea, each panel cut-out "pattern" must be randomly generated and I was hoping someone could give me some advice as doing this manually, by hand, is insane and after all we work on machines and machines can automate right!? I am also attaching a flat pattern of one of the panels (they all have different height and width dimensions too). Just as a side note I did try a scatter script but it doesn't give the appropriate result because if you look closely you will see the dashes are inline but randomly knocked out. I was thinking maybe a random dashed line script or procedure that can then be exploded to rectangular shapes for DXF export or a custom random hatch but I don't know how to do either. Hope I'm making sense.

I would also like to apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong place this is my first forum entry so yeah ich bin noob

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to create random but "inline" stipple line or hatch pattern

I don't know of a hatch pattern or script, but what I would do is simply take parts of your pattern and mirror and/or array to a bigger sample
    Then move some of them around to make it more random, and then simply copy sections out of the middle of the field and place it on the panels.

If you copy sections from the middle at random places (keeping some sort of constant insertion point) it will become random enough in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to create random but "inline" stipple line or hatch pattern

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I don't know of a hatch pattern or script, but what I would do is simply take parts of your pattern and mirror and/or array to a bigger sample
    Then move some of them around to make it more random, and then simply copy sections out of the middle of the field and place it on the panels.

If you copy sections from the middle at random places (keeping some sort of constant insertion point) it will become random enough in my opinion.
    Hi Ted

Thank you for your assistance I really appreciate it, I'm going to give it a try!