Thread: Creating points and breaking lines based on profile sections in Civil 3d 2018

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating points and breaking lines based on profile sections in Civil 3d 2018

Hi all.

My apologies for a bit of a long post but here goes. Any help or suggestion is really appreciated.

I was mapping out a road that was due for reconstruction. Usually on high traffic roads we survey in a snake like motion (i.e we do left side of road then go back do the right side) using classic survey equipment (Leica total stations).
    That being said not all the points are perfectly aligned into profiles.

We mapped out enough points and used these to create a DTM in Civil 3d 2018. Used points as a start then used breaklines to give the model some structure.
    Now the problem I ran into was that the lead project manager wants the map to be redone so we have points on perfect or near perfect profiles with distances of 10 meter (so a profile section every 10 meter that has basicaly points on pavement edge; canal top; canal bottom; canal top; fence etc).
    Redoing all the field work is a no possibility for us. And mapping out points along profiles by hand will probably take quite some time since it's about 35 - 40 kilometer of roads.
    Is there a way to create profile sections perpendicular to road and then to automatically add the points with elevations (from existing dtm) and break the existing 3d lines along those points? So in short, to interpolate the data from DTM so it fits the idea of 10 meter segments?

If anyone can assist I can send you the dwg with a dtm.

Thanks to all in advance.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating points and breaking lines based on profile sections in Civil 3d 2018

HI
    You convert your tin to a grid surface that should accomplish what they want just remember even though you will still get elevations to the thousandths however you will lose accuracy and data. That will happen in any type of conversion process.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating points and breaking lines based on profile sections in Civil 3d 2018

First thing is to mention the time involved to produce what is being asked of you and to get sign-off on the estimated cost to meet this precision.

Is the discrepancy in the data really wrong? How often have you received as-built data that exactly matched the original design? Obviously, the field work is not a possibility due to cost.

You can create sample lines along an alignment. The sample lines are used to create sections (typically perpendicular to the alignment). The sample lines can "sample" many types of Civil 3D object types. You can project points to section views of the said sample lines. I'm not certain on the automation of the projection of those points. It is probably possible, though.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

There is no, or atleast no noticable, probably some minor, discrepancy between the surveyed data and the data you'd get from creating 10 meter segments. There are stretches of data (within city borders) that are even more dense then the 10 meter segments.
    The problem arises because the lead civil engineer is an elderly gentleman who is used to taking just profile points and then interpolating the data between in a linear fashion (which in itself is a loss of data but not my problem i guess) and the problem arising from his attitude is since they are the one paying me they are witholding payment till i come up with a solution that will be ok for them.

That's the reason I'm trying to do smtn like this. I've tried doing the thing by hand but while it's doable it will probably take 20 to 30 work days which i'd rather avoid if at all possible.

Thx for the suggestions so far;

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    HI
    You convert your tin to a grid surface that should accomplish what they want just remember even though you will still get elevations to the thousandths however you will lose accuracy and data. That will happen in any type of conversion process.
    Yea but using a grid system I wouldnt really get exactly what I want since i want to create points on lines that already exist. Using the grid method would just create an x by y grid and that would be too many points so not really an ideal solution unforunately