See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best hardware upgrade for C3D with Aerial Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best hardware upgrade for C3D with Aerial Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    MAPOPTIONS Command, General tab, Display Quality == Draft
    MAPOPTIONS Command, Memory tab, set Temporary File Location to a folder on fastest drive.
    MAPOPTIONS Command, Memory tab, set Memory Limit to 50-75% of total physical RAM (might consider more than 32 GB in your build)
    Good day BlackBox.

I tested those commands in C3D 2018 (cause that's what the client uses right now; I had specify 2021 cause I wanted the new computer to be compatible with it).
    When I type MAPOPTIONS Enter, a menu appears. But there's no General tab and no Memory tab.

2021-04-01 12_13_56-Window.png

Are those new options in C3D 2021?

The only thing I could find out was this command:
    imagequality
    d (draft) or h (high)

Does it do the same thing?

- - - Updated - - -

That said, although not listed on the Intel Performance Maximizer site, the i9-11900K does have a download for it here.

You'll also find Intel XTU app useful.

Cheers
    Alright. Thanks for the info.

I guess a little Overclocking wouldn't hurt as we'll have a top Noctua cooling solution, of which we're both FANs!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by forums795216 View Post
    I tested those commands in C3D 2018 (cause that's what the client uses right now; I had specify 2021 cause I wanted the new computer to be compatible with it).
    When I type MAPOPTIONS Enter, a menu appears. But there's no General tab and no Memory tab.
    Apologies; there's a typo in my post, the Command should have been MAPIOPTIONS.

Alright. Thanks for the info.

I guess a little Overclocking wouldn't hurt as we'll have a top Noctua cooling solution, of which we're both FANs!
    Dilly dilly
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Something we're looking at getting this month, that may also be valuable to your client's need to view high-resolution aerials, is the Dell UltraSharp 43" 4K monitor, which is on sale for +/- $700/ea (using business account):

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...2789&gclsrc=ds

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Something we're looking at getting this month, that may also be valuable to your client's need to view high-resolution aerials, is the Dell UltraSharp 43" 4K monitor, which is on sale for +/- $700/ea (using business account):
    Humm... Business accounts seem to give great discounts. I'll check this out. I might get one of those screens for myself.

About the i9-11900K, I'm not sure anymore. The thermals don't look that good. And the energy consumption don't look that good also : Linus Tech Tips: How far will Intel GO?

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies; there's a typo in my post, the Command should have been MAPIOPTIONS.

I'll have to test those MAPIOPTIONS next time I meet with my customer.
    Last edited by forums795216; 2021-04-02 at 05:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Humm... Business accounts seem to give great discounts. I'll check this out. I might get one of those screens for myself.
    You can have a Dell business account without providing a Federal Tax ID - you just have to then pay tax on top of your discounted items.

About the i9-11900K, I'm not sure anymore. The thermals don't look that good. And the energy consumption don't look that good also : Linus Tech Tips: How far will Intel GO?
    If the client's primary design application is AutoCAD-based (and Civil 3D is), then it is ruled by single-core clock speed. Period.

Other hardware components are apt variables in the overall result, but the single, greatest dependency is single-core clock speed... And for that, Intel i9-11900K still beats AMD Ryzen 5950X (which is pretty awesome) by 20%:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00K/4086vs4110

Just keep in mind that DDR5 hits the market (soon?).

Also, those were stress tests - your client is never - repeat, never going to get that level of utilization out of any CPU running AutoCAD-based products.

That said, always go through and tally up your max power consumption to spec the system unit's power supply... I work in CAD all-day, everyday, so I don't care how much power it draws and will gladly give it more if it would make my machine run faster, because completing work more quickly means I get paid more... When I get paid for consuming less energy, I'll be really good at that instead. Haha

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Also, those were stress tests - your client is never - repeat, never going to get that level of utilization out of any CPU running AutoCAD-based products.
    Apparently Intel has a finite turbo period of 56s by default. So that limits the power consumption. But the finite turbo period can be disabled in the BIOS. That's when the Wattages and temps increases. So if someone doesn't touch the default settings they should be good for that matter. If they want the cpu boost 100% of the time, well they can just make sure the power supply can handle it and have good cooling, I guess.

From the Asus mobo bios manual: Asus Multicore Enhancement:
    2021-04-02 17_24_04-Window.png

That said, always go through and tally up your max power consumption to spec the system unit's power supply... I work in CAD all-day, everyday, so I don't care how much power it draws and will gladly give it more if it would make my machine run faster, because completing work more quickly means I get paid more... When I get paid for consuming less energy, I'll be really good at that instead. Haha

Cheers
    Another good point!
    Last edited by forums795216; 2021-04-02 at 08:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

>>That said, always go through and tally up your max power consumption to spec the system unit's power supply... I work in CAD all-day, everyday, so I don't care how much power it draws and will gladly give it more if it would make my machine run faster, because completing work more quickly means I get paid more... When I get paid for consuming less energy, I'll be really good at that instead.

So, out of curiosity, what's the FFE of your home?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    >>That said, always go through and tally up your max power consumption to spec the system unit's power supply... I work in CAD all-day, everyday, so I don't care how much power it draws and will gladly give it more if it would make my machine run faster, because completing work more quickly means I get paid more... When I get paid for consuming less energy, I'll be really good at that instead.

So, out of curiosity, what's the FFE of your home?
    My home isn't part of this thread ; if it helps, my calculations are intended only to spec the PSU & UPS for servers, network/security equipment and workstations.

Our workstations have an 850W PSU and 1200W (1440VA) UPS.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123