See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Raster Design not loading into Civil 3D

Login to Give a bone

Default Raster Design not loading into Civil 3D

In 2020 Civil 3D, the Raster Design (RD) tab is on the ribbon and all the tool icons are visible once the tab is selected. However, the infamous "unknown command" pops up when selecting a tool from any of the RD palettes. The path(s) to the RD program and the Help files are in the support file search path in CD3. The AecCo.cuix file has been copied to the CD3 support directory and it still will not launch.
    What is puzzling is that I have 2020 Map 3D installed as well with all the same paths, etc. as CD3 and RD actually runs - no problems. What is the issue with loading RD in the CD3 product?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Raster Design not loading into Civil 3D

You have two options outlined here.

In the case of cuix files, AutoCAD doesn't load the first one it finds. So putting the cuix in the C3D folder won't help. When you run MENULOAD, the path to the cuix is stored in the registry. My guess is that C3D was installed before RD and the RD dll was not registered properly.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

You are correct. The IT department went down the list when they did the installs.
    Below is the order that products were installed. Is there a remedy to my problem?
    AutoCAD_Install_List.jpg
    Last edited by unkleroy; 2021-04-08 at 07:38 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I would uninstall "AutoCAD 2020" "AutoCAD Map 202" and "AutoCAD Raster Design 2020" do a REPAIR of the Civil 3d 202 install, and then a full installation of Raster Design.

(Since Civil3d contains the functionality of AutoCAD and Map3D, there's no compelling need to have them as separate installs)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    (Since Civil3d contains the functionality of AutoCAD and Map3D, there's no compelling need to have them as separate installs)
    Sidebar:

Funny enough, while your statement is completely accurate in-app, Civil 3D team doesn't include things like Migration tools, etc with Civil 3D-only install. I *think* there were some issues with some recent AutoCAD updates not installing if actual vanilla AutoCAD wasn't installed.

Not sure if that is 100%, but that is my recollection, maybe it was an AutoCAD Architecture update (which Civil 3D also includes parts of); point is something needed AutoCAD Haha.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by unkleroy View Post
    You are correct. The IT department went down the list when they did the installs.
    Below is the order that products were installed. Is there a remedy to my problem?
    It seems you didn't read the article I linked to? It suggested a reinstall of RD.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Thank you. I should have asked if there was anything that would fix my problem other than going through the re-install process. Don't get me wrong, I am not against installing or re-installing - it is just that I have to ask IT to perform these steps. I do not have the admin privileges and therefore I have to put in a request, then wait, then email to see how long I have to wait, etc. Obviously I was looking for another avenue to resolve my problem or get an answer that is slightly more palatable to IT. The IT staff is a great resource but they do not know the difference between Autodesk and Adobe and do not have the time for go backs - I work for a government agency.

It is great to know that "Since Civil3d contains the functionality of AutoCAD and Map3D, there's no compelling need to have them as separate installs." I have been away from these products for a few years and since IT was offering to install "everything" then I took them up on it. I posted a thread earlier inquiring if all or most of Map 3D was included in CD3 but did not get any replies. I am scheduled for another machine in a few months and I will only ask for CD3 - thanks for that info.

I do find it odd that RD runs fine in Map 3D and not in CD3. I did have to add the path to RD cuix and the RD Help into the support files dialog box for Map 3D as well as coping the AecCo.cuix file into the support directory of Map 3D. First attempt accessing RD through Map 3d resulted in the "Unknown command" return at the command prompt prior performing the aforementioned steps.

I am guessing at this point, but if the only thing re-installing does is get rid of a corrupted file in the registry then I would get a faster response from IT to remove/edit that one and only one registry entry and move on. Installing over VPN is a much greater lift for IT than simply editing a file. Thoughts?
    Last edited by unkleroy; 2021-04-09 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Login to Give a bone

I do find it odd that RD runs fine in Map 3D and not in CD3. I did have to add the path to RD cuix and the RD Help into the support files dialog box for Map 3D as well as coping the AecCo.cuix file into the support directory of Map 3D. First attempt accessing RD through Map 3d resulted in the "Unknown command" return at the command prompt prior performing the aforementioned steps.
    Copying the cuix to Map's support dir would have no effect unless you MENULOAD'ed that file instead of the cuix in RD's support folder.

I am guessing at this point, but if the only thing re-installing does is get rid of a corrupted file in the registry then I would get a faster response from IT to remove/edit that one and only one registry entry and move on. Installing over VPN is a much greater lift for IT than simply editing a file. Thoughts?
    The registry does not contain files. It is a database. Reinstalling would set keys (or add db entries) that have not yet been set. These keys will load the dll's that the cuix needs. Without reinstalling RD, you would need to know which registry keys need fixing and then manually adding them. It is not a "heavy lift" for IT to do reinstall over vpn (unless you have low bandwidth). It only takes 3-4 keystrokes and happens fairly quickly for RD. If they have issues, it's probably related to something else like being busy, but not to how difficult it is.

LinkedIn