Thread: Create new door with nested door swing

Login to Give a bone

Default Create new door with nested door swing

Hi All
    First of all, I am an absolute beginner of Revit. I followed some online tutorial on how to create your own internal door (pretty much I want to create my own custom door for a project I am doing for the company).
    the link is here: https://revitpure.com/blog/17-steps-...swing-in-revit

Here are the detailed steps on what I have done:
    I used the metric door template and successfully created the door frame using "rough dimensions" (Structural dimensions - takes me ages to figure out what the hell is rough dimensions). My first question is, why do you create the door first and then set the structural opening dimensions? So say, for example, I want a structural opening of 910 x 2100mm, I have to create an opening of 826 x 2040mm? Am I correct? The tutorial using formula to generate the structural opening. Again, It said the structural opening is the =Width-(Frame thickness*2-(difference between frame and structural opening width))? of which the frame thickness is the width of the architrave.
    The formula on its own doesn't make sense at all. I have to re-figure out a formula so the structural opening and door leaf will be what it will be. Am I doing anything wrong?

Then I created another family file on the swing. Everything is fine here, but once I created and saved the file called "door swing". When I load the door swing into the frame family. I will show under the families in the project browser but not on the project. I right clicked on the door swing under the families and create instance, but it will only shown on elevations, but not plan view. How do I fixed that? I haven't even got to the point of nesting the swing to the door frame yet.

Please find attachments of the door frame.rfa and door swing.rfa on what I have done so far. Hope that helps.

Update: I have now sorted the door swing to frame family problem. It happened to be me being stupid when creating using the Metric Generic model, it automatically opens quite a few views, and I used the wrong one from the start. Hence when inserting the door swing to the frame family. It will always be on the elevation.
    Now I have created a basic door with openable swings. (ie. I can specify the angle shown on project and on selection box (3d)

I am using Revit 2021.
    Vincent
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vince.lam; 2021-04-21 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Problem solved

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create new door with nested door swing

Not really sure what your question is. Are you just trying to have a nested graphic of the door swing which can be changed to different angels?

Also the Rough Dimensions you mention are the dimensions of the structurally framed opening. If you have 910x2100 door size then you need a larger framed opening in order to install the door properly. The formulas would be as such.
    Rough Width = width + frame thickness * 2 + shim space * 2
    Rough Height = height + frame thickness + shim space
    These formulas would apply to butt frame doors. If you have a wrap frame door they would be different as the door frame wraps partially over the framing.

The shim space is usually around 10mm or so. For hollow metal door frames the standard thickness of the frame is 50mm or 2".

Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much for the help. It makes alot more sense to me about the rough width and height formula.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Glad I could help with a bit of clarification.
    As an FYI you would have similar formulas for windows for the rough dimensions.
    Rough Width = Width + Shim Space * 2
    Rough Height = Height + Shim Space * 2

The difference is the window size is to the outside of the frame as that is the dimension a supplier would need and so a frame width dimension is not needed in the formula.