See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Starting using Xrefs

Login to Give a bone

Question Starting using Xrefs

Hi everyone!
    I work in a veeery small office, that currently is organized in a very old-fashioned way, or it is better to say not organized at all. For example, we almost never use xrefs - everything is kept in one file, I mean everything - plans, sections, elevations. details. I would like to move on from this barbaric method and start implementing xrefs. But here is the thing, even though I know how technically to use them, I don't know how to organize them in the best way. So here is the question: could you guys please share the system that you use for xrefing, I mean not a general description, but more like exactly which drawings do you use, how you link them, from which of them you print the project.

I know that the system mostly depends on the discipline and project type... We mostly do small-medium scale architectural projects with one person working on them.

I looked up this topic on the forum, but it is mostly general information, and as a beginner, I really need more details and templates to start moving to a new system. And I think the best way is to ask those who already have a system that works for them and to see actual examples, rather than read theoretical articles...

So I would really appreciate your help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting using Xrefs

Think of your layouts as a sheet. That would be one drawing. This sheet drawing would reference your design building plan or your building elevation or ...

Your notes for the sheet would reside in the sheet drawing. This would leave your design drawing free of annotation. Of course, you can annotate it there if you like, but it potentially requires more layer management than placing the annotation in the sheet.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your answer!

Correct me if I didn't understand:
    So all the annotation goes on the sheets (dimensions, symbols, text)?
    Each drawing is attached as xref to layout sheet, or in the model space and then viewported to layouts?
    From which file do you print?

Thanks again
    It just when you start from scratch there are bound to be many questions.

Login to Give a bone

First of all, thanks for pulling them out of the dark ages.

The best reason for using multiple xrefs and sheets is it allows more then one person to work on a drawing, plus un-clutters the heck out of a drawing file.
    We keep "Sheet" drawing files in "Sheets" folder = layouts, one per sheet (vs multiple sheets (layouts) per dwg). These are what gets printed, all annotation on these sheets, model (MS) annotation and sheet (PS) annotation.
    We keep Xrefs in separate folder "Xrefs", we use relative paths, overlay (vs. attachment) all at the same origin 0,0,0, etc for plan bases so they simply stack where the belong.

We also use Sheet Set Manager for publishing etc, but that is another topic, but you should look into that.

Typical structure

Project number
    -Sheets
    S-001
    S-101
    S-501
    -Xrefs
    S-PLAN-0001
    S-GRID-0001

Other notes:
    We use xreffed title blocks.
    All xrefs are on G-ANNO-REFR layer in the sheets (per NCS)
    We don't usually xref details and such, mostly model work such as plans, elevations etc.

Set visretain = "1" in your sheet files, so it locks in what you change, freeze, etc. on the sheets (if set at "0", the xrefs will come in however they were saved last, usually not desired)