See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to tansfer contour line generated in civil 3d to autocad architecture

Login to Give a bone

Default How to tansfer contour line generated in civil 3d to autocad architecture

Hi All
    I am new to AutoCAD civil 3d I have been tasked with creating a set of contours for a 5 acre block of land, to be used on a site plan in AutoCAD architecture.
    I have created the contour lines and labels but try as I might I cannot find any way to use them in AutoCAD architecture.
    when I open the file in ACA the drawing open's fine but with a lot of layers that I do not need. I have tried to purge them to no avail.
    Next when I try to change scale the TIN surface appears as a surface and not as contour lines, or just disappears altogether.
    I have tried to export the file to dwg dxf pdf and tried to import the file as a dwg but up to now i have had no success.
    When I xref the contour file dwg to the site plan drawing in the view tab, the contour lines and labels don't show. The topo c layer is on
    I have tried to convert the lines and text to a block and copy and paste it to the site plan in both the construct and view files but it either shows as a surface or disappears altogether if I change the scale of the block its becomes a surface,

I know there is a simple solution to this and I'm going to kick my self when I find out how to do it, but right now I am in a bit of a hurry to get this finished.
    Please can any one help.

We used to use Softwel DTW and never had any problems but unfortunately after the last computer crash we lost the program and have moved to civil 3D.
    It looks like a much better program and has many better features I just hope its compatible with ACA

Thanks in adavnce

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to tansfer contour line generated in civil 3d to autocad architecture

In Civil3D you will find options under export to "Export to AutoCAD", such as ...

Command: EXPORTTOAUTOCAD2010

... this should create a drawing containing only basic AutoCAD objects. You could then insert that into your Arch drawings and the insert should handle the "Feet to Inches" or "Meters to Inches" for you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to tansfer contour line generated in civil 3d to autocad architecture

What are you trying to present in ACA? If is just contour lines, you can use the Extract from Surface command found on the surface modify ribbon. This will allow you to extract objects from the surface that are currently visible per the surface style assigned to the surface. To get contours, your style will need to be displaying contours.

Another option would be to exportc3ddrawing to autocad.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

another option, load the correct object enabler(s),
    attach your civil 3d file as XREF and through use of a good surface style
    you should be able to freeze or turn off all unwanted layers in the XREf to show
    only the desired contours, and their labels.

The suggestions to Extract, and or export to autocad are OK
    however, the XREF function will allow a more dynamic option, that will update should the surface data change
    during the project lifecycle

Login to Give a bone

Thanks to all
    I have tried all the solutions and they all work
    I knew it couldn't be hard but sometimes you just need a clue

thanks again to everyone