Thread: Import Superelevation with *.csv / No wizzard - Rate of Change cross slope issue

Login to Give a bone

Default Import Superelevation with *.csv / No wizzard - Rate of Change cross slope issue

For superelevations, i have imported directly a *.csv file, which i have prepared outside the C3D. I have not used the Superelevation Wizard at all. The *.csv file is imported without problem. Superelevation band style and superelevation view are generated as they should. However there is a problem which i haven't found solution.

In my Superelevation band style, as well as in the Superelevation Tabular Editor, in case of "Slope Transition Region", the Rate of Change of the Cross Fall is not calculated right.

Refer to attached cropped images. In "Super_RateOfChange.JPG", i have a transition 80m long, from qa=-2.5% to qe=6% to the left outside lane and from qa=-2.5% to qe=-6% to the right outside lane. The respective rate of change of the cross fall calculated is Δs=0.11% (rounded from 0.106%) and Δs=-0.04% (rounded from -0.044%), to the left and right respectively. This would be OK if my normal lane width would be =1m.

However, my normal lane width is 3,75m, so the correct Δs are Δs= 0.398% and Δs= -0.164% to the left and right respectively.

As i understand, the rate of change is calculated within the C3D, based on the superelevations qa and qe (start and end respectively), the length of the transition region and the width of the normal lane. When the Superelevation Wizard is used, these variables are given by the user. However, when the superelevation data are imported from a *csv file, the width of the normal lane is not determined anywhere and the user cannot insert it manually. And probably, as explained above, the software assumes arbitrarily a width of 1m for all lanes.

Is there a way to determine the lane width, without the use of the Superelevation Wizard? I think this could solve the problem with the Rate of Change of the Cross Fall.

Attached screenshots, as well as superelevations imported (in txt format) and the dgw (without the surface included, in order not to exceed the upload limit)

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import Superelevation with *.csv / No wizzard - Rate of Change cross slope issue

First off... I do not use supers in my work.

You may need to start with the wizard to get the lane width assigned, then import your data into the tabular editor for the other data.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import Superelevation with *.csv / No wizzard - Rate of Change cross slope issue

I have tried that already. However, when you insert the csv file all other data are deleted automatically, including lane width (at least this is what i see!). It is really surpising to me, that i am the first to report this issue (!!). Either i am doing something wrong, or i am the first one to have imported a csv for superelevations and want the rate of change of cross slope to be shown in my profile superelevation band! Thanks anyway!

Login to Give a bone

That is weird. Thanks for posting your discoveries. Hope someone comes along with a solution.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Yeap! Let's hope! Thanks!