Thread: WALL SCHEDULES

Login to Give a bone

Question WALL SCHEDULES

Hi all
    I am sure that this has been dealt with in the past but I cant find the thread.

I have a simple exterior wall consisting of 6mm cement sheet lining on the exterior, 75mm timber stud and 10mm GWB on the inside.
    when I create a building and add room spaces, and create an all room quantities schedule. Calculate the room quantities, and all works well.

I cannot find out how to generate a wall schedule to show the net area of the cement sheet on the external walls of the building.
    I have added the area_rightnet and area_leftnet to the property sets for the wall. The correct areas show up in the extended data tab in the properties dialog pallet for each wall I select and I could just add them together. But I am at a loss on how to get the schedule to show these area values for each wall and the total area value for the entire exterior of the building.

I'm sure that it is simple, I have looked on line and tried to understand the gobbledegook from the auto-desk knowledge library but none of it works.
    I'm sure this has been asked and dealt with many times before. I will be grateful for any help or any links to the solution.

be gentle I'm new to schedules.

Thanks John.
    Last edited by john_ehds; 2021-07-03 at 07:59 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: WALL SCHEDULES

Hi ALL
    I have FINALLY had the time to play with schedules, and I don't know how but I have sort of done it.
    I have manged to show the net area for the cement sheet cladding on the exterior walls in a schedule. (don't ask me how)
    I have one problem if all the walls are the same area say 10m long by 2m high then the schedule only shows one line with the area for one wall.
    of course if I add a window or change the length then all the walls show up in the schedule. Now in real life it is most likely that no two walls will be identical and this shouldn't be a problem, but just in case is there any way of numbering or identifying each wall so that I can make sure that my schedule is correct.?
    Also I know I'm getting picky but its my OCD. I have ticked the total check box in the style manger for the schedule but the total does not show up in the schedule.
    any ideas?
    thanks in advance for any help with this.

John

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all
    back again I have manged to get the total to show up but says 0000?
    any ideas?
    still working on identifying the walls.
    Last edited by john_ehds; 2021-07-05 at 11:14 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all
    Finally got the Qty column to work. Now at least I can see 4 walls with the same area 20.00M2

Still, I can't identify individual walls and the total area still shows 0.000.

I will let you know if I conquer it
    thanks for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all.
    Still working on this.
    I found that I can identify the walls in the remarks section of the wall tag and this shows up in the schedule, not quite what I wanted but still better than nothing I was hoping for an automatic labelling system (lazy I know)
    still working on why the total says 0.000

Login to Give a bone

Hi All
    Ok I have worked it out but I don't know how to fix it

When the schedule displays the area for each wall the area is shown as x M2
    The "TOTAL" cell formula is =sum( E3:E15) a typical excel formula, but it doesn't recognise the M2 as it is only looking for a numerical value and so it shows 0.000

I have converted the schedule to a table and edited the values (ie. removed the M2) and it works, the total is displayed correctly.

In the schedule style manager I have tried all the available styles to change how the schedule displays the resulting area, from standard to length long and the result is still x M2. (which is the correct way to show an area!)

Does any one know how to show the area result as just a number with out any suffix so that the Total cell can work its magic.

Thanks in advance
    John

Login to Give a bone

Hi All
    hooray
    I got it well almost.
    I will post screen shots of the styles and settings I used in case any one is interested, when I sort out my final problem.
    I have assigned numbers to each wall to identify them in the remarks column. I then applied "SORT" to that column
    the last problem I have is that for some reason the sorting places 10, 11, 12 after the 1 and not after the 9.

very tired
    any help?
    thanks
    John

Login to Give a bone

Hi all
    Not the answer I was looking for but a workaround of sorts
    If I label the walls a,b,c instead of 1,2,3 the sorting works I only hope that I don't come across any buildings with more than 26 walls on each floor.
    I will post the screen shots as soon as I have worked out how I did it

Thanks to any one who read this and was working on it.

John

Login to Give a bone

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vs1z78uet...ezI1pZkOa?dl=0

I have solved most of the problems the only caveat is that I have to use letters to designate the walls instead of numbers but i sure someone will fix that.
    please feel free to download this dwg from my drop box and use the schedule. just click on the link above
    You may have to open it in a new drawing first and in the options tab under AEC object settings tick the box [automatically attach] in the AEC property set definitions box.
    I'm not sure that setting will download with the drawing.

let me know if you have any problems I may be able to help, if not I'm sure there are plenty of people much smarter than me who can

John