See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Cannot pull up the map using geolocation set

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cannot pull up the map using geolocation set

Ok, I see the underlying map in the model view but it is a little off from my line work. So I go to shift the map a little...I have done this thousands of times... by clicking Edit Location> From Map and although I get the Graphic Location window, I just get the spinning circle and no map. See first attachment. I have tried rebooting everything and I even tried removing the geo location and re-identifying it but no luck. Also when I click on Reorient Marker command I get the second attached warning. Oh one more thing, I did the Audit command and yes there were some errors but ACAD says they were fixed.
    As always, any help appreciated.

TT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot pull up the map using geolocation set

Since you're using the plain AutoCAD GeoLocation tool that lets you pick random locations and enter an address, do you have a statement on your drawing that "the geolocation presented here is fictitious and any resemblance to an actual geolocated drawing is purely coincidental"? I've seen would be geolocated drawings in inches, millimeters, have small world coordinates in the teens, hundreds and they equate to 'GeoGarbage'. You can't accurately export to KML, you can't merge in other 'truly geolocated' content, and sending the drawing to a knowledgeable client is asking to be removed from further consideration of work.

Login to Give a bone

Agreeing with dotson. Since you are posting in the C3D forum, I would assume that you have Civil 3D, and can actually set a real coordinate system for the drawing in Toolspace Settings Tab|Drawing Settings.

Given that, trying to un-georeference it using the vanilla Acad stuff makes no sense. Better to locate a map that is correctly georeferenced rather than the Bing stuff in the GeoMap command. (The latter is fine for county level planning purposes, but far to inaccurate for site work or development)

Try the National Map if in the US.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Were did you get, or where are you getting the MAP from?

It is possible that it is wrong, and or has a different coordinate system attached to it. (Yes it happens)

Try something like QGIS, it's free

Import that map and see what CS is actually assigned to it.

It's a good way to quickly verify GIS data.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cadtag,
    Yes I am using Civil 3D 2017. Old I know but my business partner wants to use this version. Anyway, yes I have set the coordinate system like I always have before. I use CA83IIF where I am. Incidentally, I tried changing the coordinate system but still no luck. Note, this problem started after I cleaned up some files off my hard drive (running out of RAM and getting those running out of memory notices). So I am wondering if I may have lost a file. Since the map info is taken off the internet though I would think this would make no difference. I have also tried logging off the 360 server and logging back on...no luck.
    As a general question, since I am not a computer code guy, when you use the "Audit" command, doesn't this replace or "fix" any files that are missing or corrupted?

TT

Login to Give a bone

Bing map quality is poor, and not good enough for design work. (useful for large area b0g-picture type planning or location maps, but not a good site-level. IIRC i've gotten as much as 2 mile location error using Geomap on 2014 around Naples Fl area. Later versions were better, but a 20 ft to 20 meter mismatch is typical))

Audit will only look for errors in the actual DWG file, and will not affect other files on the computer -- You can try to re-install or repair the 2017 install from Control Panel, but you really need a better quality georeferenced map to work with.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You still did not tell us where you got the georeferenced imagery from.

Where did it come from and what coordinate system is actually assigned to it are a big deal in getting it to line up correctly.