Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts Catalog and Creating New Parts

Login to Give a bone

Default Parts Catalog and Creating New Parts

I have my templates setup with my piping parts catalog working for the most part. The structures and pipes that Autodesk sent with the program worked well until I hit the HW and FES parts. None of them are close to the size and shape of what we use. We have tried to use them.

So, I tried to create my own with some help from postings on the internet. I got about 80% done with a headwall in the shape I need. But I am having trouble with some specific things.

Setting Placement Point
    Front Vertical Wall to Wing Wall Extents – can’t get a dim to go into the structure (G-1’)
    Rear Base is off a little – I used an Extrusion for that piece of the structure (I am guessing something is off)

I can post the files if it helps.

I posted this with hopes of someone knowing who or where I can post to get some answers or help. I searched the AUGI forum and didn’t find much.

Thanks for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parts Catalog and Creating New Parts

You might post your files to allow someone to look at them. I've done a little work with the Part Builder. It is a pain to understand but I have created a safety end structure from scratch in it.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Here are some files....XML file was blocked......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Change the file extension to .txt or place it all in a zip file.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Here is the xml as a txt.

Login to Give a bone

I was also looking in another direction. I looked at Infrastructure Parts Editor and found under Culverts that there is a nicely done Flared End Sections 02 and a Headwalls with Wingwalls and Aprons 01 that would be close enough to our details for both that we could use them I suspect. However, when I tried to publish them in Civil 3D nothing happened. I found this posting:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infra...g/td-p/7488142

It says: actually the culverts are not currently intended for Civil 3D. I know we have Pipe Networks in Civil 3D that can represent culverts with headwalls and other end sections, but there are some differences we need to work out. So currently only the drainage structures and pressure content are intended for Civil 3D use.

Is this still true? I am using 2018 C3D.

Login to Give a bone

For my purposes, the culvert is the pipe. I would place a structure (even a null structure) at each end. This allows Civil 3D to annotate the pipe end elevation.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I hear ya but I didn't set this stuff up.....the category is Culvert, family name is Culvert End Treatments. See clip.

If we were only doing a plan view of the pipe this may work for us. We can even have different blocks for the different size FES' and Headwalls. BUT we need to show pipes on profiles and would like the structures showing both the FES' and Headwalls to show something close to what we actually spec. This helps with grading and tie in to other features. The structures already within the Parts Catalog don't come close to what we need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I am still in the same postition as when I posted this. Anyone else can help or point me to someone who can?

Login to Give a bone

Now that I am back in the office, I have a few moments to look at this.

Your issues were:
    1. Setting Placement Point - Where do you want the Setting Placement?
    2. Front Vertical Wall to Wing Wall Extents - Please explain with text or provide an image with your requirements
    3. Rear Base is off a little - Yes it is

The method I would recommend would be to first specify the height, length, and width of the structure as if it was a box. You do not need to ask the user for those dimensions, you can derive those from your planned geometry. With this information, you can create a 2D rectangle on the Top Plane. This will create several constraints. These constraints will keep the four lines perpendicular and also maintain a coincidental point for each line intersection where it meets another line.

You can then create an offset plane of the Top Plane to get your Headwall height. With the Headwall offset plane and the original Top Plane, you can now create an extrusion modifier that targets the Headwall offset plane.

We can now generate a 2D shape to exclude the outside of each wingwall. This shape will be used to subtract from the box we previously made. This shape will need to be placed on the Top Plane.

When creating lines for this shape, make certain to click the COLE Point 2D objects. This will aid in creating constraints while you draw. Using constraints for your model will allow you to use less dimensions to draw your 3D model.

For each wingwall, I presume you would want things to be equal distances and parallel as well as other consistencies between the two. I would add the necessary constraints between the two elements. Once you have the wingwalls created, a profile will need to be created. The profile is necessary for creating an extrusion. When extruding these void areas, target the Surface Top Offset Plane.

Then you can repeat the process with the space between the wingwalls. Again, this shape will need to be combined into a profile. To place the extrusion for this interior shape, we will need an additional offset plane. This will allow you to target the Surface Top Offset Plane and the Base Top Offset Plane.

Once we have these three additional extrusions, we can now create a temporary Modifier using the Add Boolean Subtract... option. Select the primary structure box and then select the wingwalls and the interior space extrusions. The resulting structure will be what is remaining from the box after the void spaces are removed.

Yes, this shape does not remove the slanted top of the wingwalls. You will need to create a new plane that is perpendicular to your top plane. I used the Left Plane to generate this trapezoidal shape.

Using the same methods used to create the other void spaces, I added new lines on the Left Plane that created the void shape. Once that shape was converted to a profile, I used the Mid-Plane extrusion option and set it to a width much larger than the structure would ever be. This void shape will be subtracted from the overall structure and will not be seen in the final model.

Similarly, if you want a hole cut out for the pipe location, you could create a new plane that is perpendicular to the Top and Left Plane.

There are some differences in this description and the attached file. Also, this is not a completed model. Determination of what parameters are published has not been made.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast