Thread: 2D AutoCAD XREF in Revit

The Silent Type
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2D AutoCAD XREF in Revit

Hello,

Normally with a full A/E project, the architect/structural engineer will develop the building model and then the mechanical, plumbing, electrical engineers will design their system in this environment. But, in the case of a small electrical-only project, there is no building model development. In this scenario, only an AutoCAD background exists. What is the best strategy if I want to complete this project within Revit?

My initial thought it to import the AutoCAD Xref, yet I will struggle to host receptacles, data outlets, etc without a vertical face. I could draw vertical reference planes to represent each wall, but this could get tedious depending on the building layout. Another option is to go in there and build out the walls, but that is not quite my forte as an electrical engineer. Has anyone run into this before? This model will not be used for coordination, but I would like to leverage Revit panel schedules, lighting fixture schedules, etc.

Thank you,
    James

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2D AutoCAD XREF in Revit

i've done both. if there are only a few devices/lights i would place some ref planes (you can align/lock to the cad walls if you want) but that does get tedious real fast. if it's a whole area, just trace over their cad walls with generic revit walls (make a type for each wall thickness). also draw in some gyp or grid ceilings. don't worry about doors/windows, etc. all you need is the surfaces to host elec items to. draw all this in a coordination view where everything shows, turn off your revit arch content in your elec views (easiest way is an arch workset) so only the cad background is showing with your elec content 'floating'. i would create spaces (and name them) as well, you shouldn't have to create rooms. it should be a pretty quick and painless process, it'll certainly be better than doing the elec work in acad, imo.
    hth,
    mike