Thread: New CAD Services

Login to Give a bone

Default New CAD Services

I’m fairly new to CAD. I’ve been using it for about a year now and am thinking about starting a small business in it. I’ve made several floor plans and renderings for clients through the construction company I work for and realized I could make money doing this on the side. Any tips or suggestions? I’m based out of Nashville, TN.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New CAD Services

Quote Originally Posted by Dylancarter794797723 View Post
    I’m fairly new to CAD. I’ve been using it for about a year now and am thinking about starting a small business in it. I’ve made several floor plans and renderings for clients through the construction company I work for and realized I could make money doing this on the side. Any tips or suggestions? I’m based out of Nashville, TN.
    Networking.
    Make sure your hourly wage you charge covers not just the labor, but also the time spent on initial discussions, revisions, invoicing, chasing up invoicing, and tax withholdings.
    SOW should be clear, the size of the space, level of detail, the number of revisions, the final output, etc.

You should also add yourself to the Resource Directory here.

Personally, while I have done far more freelancing than I would prefer over the years, I have not done much drafting in that, because the amount people are willing to pay does not match up with what I charge for how much time and effort it takes.
    Don't be offended by peoples' reactions.

All of those freelancing sites out there that have work likes ours listed, people offer like $250 to design an entire house and want construction documents out of it. Crazy.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thanks! This was very helpful. The problem I’ve ran into so far is that people aren’t willing to pay what it really costs to have it done.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dylancarter794797723 View Post
    Thanks! This was very helpful. The problem I’ve ran into so far is that people aren’t willing to pay what it really costs to have it done.
    That's why they didn't go to an architect. That's going to be your customer base. You might try approaching architects to do sub work. Same work but without dealing with customers.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

I completely agree, which is why I freelance in different areas instead.

Ed's suggestion might be a good solution to still work in your area, but without this particular hassle.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone!!