See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Cutting Edge requirement

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cutting Edge requirement

Hello all,
    I have finally updated to the 2022 version of Civil 3D. One thing though, is that when I click on Trim or Extend I have to complete a separate added step and click on Cutting Edges for Trim or Boundary Edges for Extend and I did not have to do that in the 2017 version. In 2017, I just clicked the command (Trim or Extend), clicked the lines I was cutting to or extending to then rt click and click to remove or extend. Why was this added step added when the command worked better before the update? Is there a way to go back to the prior method? I use this command all the time and I appreciate the prior more efficient ways.
    See attachment for a screen shot.
    TT
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cutting Edge requirement

do you have PICKFIRST turn on?

- - - Updated - - -

From the HELP reference it is defaulting to QUICK mode there is also a STANDARD mode:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...F5C32-htm.html

There are two modes that you can use to trim objects, Quick mode and Standard mode.

Quick Mode. To trim objects, select the objects to be trimmed individually, press and drag to start a freehand selection path, or pick two empty locations to specify a crossing Fence. All objects automatically act as cutting edges. Selected objects that can't be trimmed are deleted instead.

The Quick mode options are as follows:

Cutting edges
    Fence (not listed as an option)
    Crossing
    Mode
    Project
    Erase
    Standard Mode. To trim objects, first select the boundaries and press Enter. Then select the objects to be trimmed. To use all objects as boundaries, press Enter at the first Select Objects prompt.

The Standard mode options are as follows:

Select cutting edges . . .
    Cutting edges
    Fence
    Crossing
    Mode
    Project
    Edge
    Erase
    Undo
    Note: The TRIMEXTENDMODE system variable controls whether the TRIM command defaults to Quick or Standard behavior.
    The following prompts are displayed either in Quick mode or Standard mode.

Select cutting edges . . . Specifies one or more objects to be used as a boundary for the trim. TRIM projects the cutting edges and the objects to be trimmed onto the XY plane of the current user coordinate system (UCS). In Quick mode, selecting an object that doesn't cross a boundary deletes the object instead.

IT looks like those two are fighting for your preference in how you want to use TRIM Command.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

TRIMEXTENDMODE was the answer. Apparently the default of this command is 1 and I have not set up any fundamental custom settings yet.

Thanks MJ, well done!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tadthurston725387 View Post
    TRIMEXTENDMODE was the answer. Apparently the default of this command is 1 and I have not set up any fundamental custom settings yet.

Thanks MJ, well done!
    You are very welcome.

Sometimes these 'little' things can be a BIG annoyance!

On another tpic you might be interested in my post here: https://forums.augi.com/showthread.p...s&goto=newpost

I'm not sure how much you use the corridor tools, but it might prove useful.