See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add or subtract a number from a dimension

Login to Give a bone

Default Add or subtract a number from a dimension

Anyone know of a way to add a number either positive or negative to a dim style?
    For instance if the distance between 2 points in 15.0' is there a way to add 1.5' to that actual distance?
    I've tried the scale factors with a little luck, when they start to stretch or squish I'm finding they don't work so well.

TIA

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Add or subtract a number from a dimension

Are you saying that you want the dimension to read 16.5' when it is actually 15'? Why?
    C:> ED WORKING....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Place a line or an obect (like an autocad POINT) on a no plot layer at the desired offset distance and dimenstion to that object

Otherwise, I'm left asking the same question, why would you want the dimension value to be wrong?

Login to Give a bone

I know, I know. Maybe you've dealt with this before. It's not something I want, but something someone above my paygrade wants. It has to be dimensioned to the actual line work but show an exaggerated distance of 1.5'. It's crazy how much work can be generated by the whimsical requests of those I answer to. Currently we're just manually changing the dims as we go, at least there are only thousands of them.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rickquin651723 View Post
    I know, I know. Maybe you've dealt with this before. It's not something I want, but something someone above my paygrade wants. It has to be dimensioned to the actual line work but show an exaggerated distance of 1.5'. It's crazy how much work can be generated by the whimsical requests of those I answer to. Currently we're just manually changing the dims as we go, at least there are only thousands of them.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Maybe you can explain why they/you want to add distance on a dimension to an object you are drawing accurately?
    Why can't you draw it accurately and not trick the dimension? Is it because they already exist? You cant update the objects?
    Are these differences consistent? (always 1.5' shorter than what you want to show?)
    Can it be handled another way with accurate dimensions and split viewports?

The only thing I can think of is creating a special dimstyle with a special "dimlfac", (or adding your [alternate] units with a special dimlfac) set to 1.1 or similar.
    Which only would work if the math works for all of them.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

without revealing the work or project, why do they want to add 1.5' to the actual dimension?
    Is it a clearance issue? or is to outside of pipe/beam wall?

I think if you give us a bit more information we maybe be able to give you the best solution to this 'odd' dimension request.

If it's always 1.5' it might be an easy 'fix' if it's some conssisten proportion that too is easy (?)

Login to Give a bone

The reason for the weird dimension is, that at the scale of the drawing you can't make out the line work we're dim'ing to. So the PM has had us redraw the linework at an offset that shows up better, but it isn't where it is in the real world. So, if we were to dim to the redrawn line it would be 5.5' (or whatever) when in fact it's really 4.0'. Side note: I have to add 1.5' in some places and in others I have to reduce it by 1.5'. So, if this were to work, I understand I would need 2 different dim styles.
    Additional side note: This a VERY large project area so detail/split views won't work. On one sheet we have +/- 100 dims

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

This sounds a little like a recent struggle to get a project done at a scale that was appropriate to the level of detail needed.

You nad your PM's might be better suited to just do the drawing at a scale that works better to show the work.
    At this point you guys are in a position where trying to show the data at the scale being used, and this 'work around' could
    cause issue for which you might be liable.

Someone should consider wether that risk is worth drawing the project at 60 scale, instead of 20?
    What would that cost your company?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This whole post has really gotten out of hand although I find it really amusing. 1st of all not all projects are cookie cutter perfect nor does everyone have the same work flow. Most places have reasons for what they do, and if not they are on really thin ice. 2nd when you start using always and never the one thing you can be sure of sooner or later you will be wrong. I have used offset linework for clarity which was identified as such and clearly stated. 3rd dims are just text at the basic level so if you are confident enough to be able to edit a dimension I'm not sure I want the liability of telling you how to do it. This really basic stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast