Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamic Block - Office Location Information

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block - Office Location Information

Quote Originally Posted by CCarleton View Post
    Ted,

I'll look into the xref side of things, I'm not really sure it solves the issue I'm trying to solve, but maybe I don't know any better. I'm pretty happy with how everything in the titleblock works right now, I just wanted to see if there was a way to block out office informaton and still keep it working in a dynamic block.
    Well I thought if you had a standard size "blank spot" for your logo on all your title blocks, you could xref the logo in, and you would achieve what you were asking; to be able to update the logo and would effect all of the layouts.
    But I just realized after reading this again, you have Dynamic block, where the user selects a title block size, and that logo location may move, so that would be an issue.

It still could be done though, if you had a master logo drawing file, then different "xref" files for each location, where the master file is xref (attached) and placed where needed, then those are xreffed into each layout as req'd.
    (a little cumbersome, but would work)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block - Office Location Information

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    for an old skool approach, before XRef was a thing, we would INSERT a base file as a block, and do the design linework on top of that. I also has a LISP command that would re-define the base block, reading the new definition in from the server. Seems that this type of approach might work for you. Have your dynamic block inserted, and if anything changes (address, phone, etc), automate the redefinition of the block. I think the user would probably have to use the dynamic properties to get the correct office address, but it ought to work.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like this solution is more geared towards a user with the titleblock in their project rather than template management?

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Well I thought if you had a standard size "blank spot" for your logo on all your title blocks, you could xref the logo in, and you would achieve what you were asking; to be able to update the logo and would effect all of the layouts.
    But I just realized after reading this again, you have Dynamic block, where the user selects a title block size, and that logo location may move, so that would be an issue.

It still could be done though, if you had a master logo drawing file, then different "xref" files for each location, where the master file is xref (attached) and placed where needed, then those are xreffed into each layout as req'd.
    (a little cumbersome, but would work)
    For the record the logo was just an example of something I recently blocked out recently as blocking it out (and keeping that block in the layout template) allows me to modify that block and push it to every titleblock we have (in that template), whether that's 1 or 500. The reason the logo is a different situation than office information is the office information needs to be flexible based on where the document is coming as we have 11 potential office locations. So again my annoyance is that I have attribute definitions in each titleblock and each titleblock uses the block properties table to autofill that information in. This is a great solution on a per titleblock basis, I'm just annoyed that if we change an office location I have 4 titleblocks to go into and review the block properties table for.

And to further clarify in general; what I am not trying to accomplish is pushing updates to our titleblocks in existing drawings. Everything I am trying to work within is in the confines of the layout template and updating it, and only it, as smooth as possible so the next time a user starts a drawing and brings in a titleblock it is updated.

Appreciate the continued discussion though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12