Thread: Jerky or Lagging Autocad Cursor on Remote Desktop

Login to Give a bone

Default Jerky or Lagging Autocad Cursor on Remote Desktop

Hi All,

I am working from home due to the pandemic, like many of you I guess. When I am connected to my company's remote machine via VPN, the cursor in Autocad is terribly lagging and jumping all over the place. Even if I move my cursor on a blank drawing, there seems to be a split second delay. I can't draw or select anything precisely. It makes remote work very frustrating, to say the least.

The strange thing is, my cursor seems smooth in all other applications via VPN, so that rules out connection speed as the issue.

Any idea how I can fix this issue? Is it related to display settings in Autocad? Or the graphics card? Or something else?

Thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Jerky or Lagging Autocad Cursor on Remote Desktop

One thing I've noticed working that way, is that AutoCAD seems to behave 'oddly' when the remote mouse and local mouse are not the same type/model.

Login to Give a bone

Does the mouse settings on your cad pc have pointer shadow enabled? If so, try disabling it.
    2022-01-27_8-48-00.png
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Thank you both for the replies.
    It is not the mouse type/model, as both the local mouse and remote mouse are the same cheap Microsoft basic mouse.
    It is not the pointer shadow either, as I had it disabled already.
    However, your ideas prompted me to check the mouse pointer speed (sensitivity), and voila! My remote's pointer speed was much slower.
    Once I matched it to the pointer speed of my local mouse, the cursor became "smoother".
    I'm not sure if it is partly due to placebo effect.
    There is still a noticeable lag, especially when I'm doing grip edits.
    I will keep monitoring for the next while.

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

We use Citrix Remote Desktop. With that, the local PC draws the normal mouse, but the remote desktop draws the Autocad crosshairs. So the crosshairs are always at a disadvantage. By toggling the cursor to a standard mouse instead of crosshairs, the lag goes. I've grown up with the crosshairs for 30 years but you quickly get used to working without them. CURSORTYPE=1

When we first swapped to remote, there were a number of other settings we tweaked in the system settings to improve remote performance. I can't remember now (8 yrs ago), but they were set by the IT team administering the Remote Desktop.

Login to Give a bone

For us the solution that helps most is to turn CURSORTYPE to 1 (I think... it might be 0... toggle opposite of what you have now).
    This will turn your crosshairs into a regular arrow mouse cursor. It takes some getting used to but it's a big help. Snaps still work and everything... you just don't have the crosshairs.
    I think it's because of all the screen pixels of the big crosshairs that have to be updated back and forth over the internet that slows things down. The little mouse arrow requires much less data.
    I may be totally wrong, but that's my theory.
    Anyway, it's been working for us.

(Duh... now I see p.barnett89640 pretty much said the same thing...)

Login to Give a bone

type options at command line, go to display tab and try the settings for the tooltips.
    My settings are Show ToolTips 0.500 Number of seconds before display and Show extended ToolTips 0.000 Number of seconds to delay

I read about this a few years ago and I don't remember all the details but it appeared to help in a small way.
    I also use 3DCONNEXION CADMOUSE which has some speed selections I haven't seen on a typical mouse.
    One more important thing, my mouse is wired, wireless is not fast enough for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmason; 2022-01-31 at 05:29 PM.

Login to Give a bone

The first time I remoted in, AutoCAD was just a slow foot in the muck... Trouble or slowness due to network connection I supposed..

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? I don't think you'd really be using over an RDP session.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hardin View Post
    For us the solution that helps most is to turn CURSORTYPE to 1 (I think... it might be 0... toggle opposite of what you have now).
    Quote Originally Posted by p.barnett898640 View Post
    By toggling the cursor to a standard mouse instead of crosshairs, the lag goes. I've grown up with the crosshairs for 30 years but you quickly get used to working without them. CURSORTYPE=1
    HOLY SH*T this is it! CURSORTYPE=1! The lag is gone! Thank you both for this miracle!