See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating "smart text" - refer to a detail number & have it change if the detail number changes

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating "smart text" - refer to a detail number & have it change if the detail number changes

What we're looking for: to have some text in a section (call it section A) that will point to another section (section B) & refer to it by section number & page, and that reference will change if Section B is relocated. Much the way that section cuts on plan will update when a section on a sheet moves/changes.

To work correctly for us, it should be text only (no graphics or lines) and be able to add a leader. We keep calling it "smart text that contains a label" but.......

If we had our wish, it would use the pull-down for selecting a reference section so we could select the detail we are pointing to, but we're not sure if that is possible.

I hope I am getting my point across, but let me know if there are questions.

Please & many thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (530.1 KB, 91 views)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating "smart text" - refer to a detail number & have it change if the detail number changes

Well that sort of exists in Revit already, but not with a leader.
    We use a "View Reference" tag within text that is tied to a view on a sheet (which updates when changed)

Not sure if that meets all your needs but it works for us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating "smart text" - refer to a detail number & have it change if the detail number changes

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Well that sort of exists in Revit already, but not with a leader.
    We use a "View Reference" tag within text that is tied to a view on a sheet (which updates when changed)

Not sure if that meets all your needs but it works for us.
    I heard about doing this, but how does it actually happen?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    I heard about doing this, but how does it actually happen?
    Ok, so I found this as one tutorial: https://revitiq.com/adding-view-reference-text-notes/.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

These are the 2 different ones we use at my office. One for referencing a sheet and one for a view on a sheet. The "REFER TO DWG" and "REFER TO DETAIL" is just text in the family positioned before the left justified label.

Attachment 109021

It would be nice to be able to add additional instance parameters into the family for text so we could write additional info instead of having to place a text note near the reference.

Login to Give a bone

View Reference! Perfect - for one of the instances I need. This is what I have come up with to use: text + label (in blue).
    1.png

Still trying to find a way to do a similar one with a leader. Anyone know how to accomplish that? The idea is to be able to point to a certain part of a detail & refer them to a detail on a different sheet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Very nice, unfortunately they have not added options for leaders in view references yet so the only workaround is to use a blank text note with leader. As of Revit 2020 or 2021 (forget exactly which one) you can place a blank note.
    Attachment 109023

Login to Give a bone

Using view references is already described, and works well for many circumstances. I don't need to add to that, but I do want to mention that the need for the ability to insert view references within text, or in a parameter (and thus into a table) is needed
    There are, I believe, a few variations of this request in the Autodesk Ideas board - it would not hurt to add more upvotes, and maybe this will finally make the roadmap
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit.../idi-p/6423681

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If it's just the reference + leader you need you kinda get it by using "Reference Other View" with a Callout. Won't get an arrow thought, must be an area-marking.

And yes, being able to put view-refernces inside running text has been an request for sooo long.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Revolution Design have a solution for this called "autoLink"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast