See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Maintaining as Block Insert but Anonymous Name Prevents Modification via Block Editor

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Maintaining as Block Insert but Anonymous Name Prevents Modification via Block Editor

Dynamic blocks appeared to solve all related organizational and functional limitations of blocks. The downside appeared quickly thereafter and continues to stupify the everyday CAD user in the form of the anonymous block name.
    Do you know a method or tool or both to employ in modifying the block properties of an anonymous block insert?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Maintaining as Block Insert but Anonymous Name Prevents Modification via Block Editor

In what form do you wish to modify dynamic blocks? Most properties of a dynamic block can me changed through the Properties palette. If you need it done programmatically, you could make changes using AutoLISP, VBA, or one of the .NET languages.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Maintaining as Block Insert but Anonymous Name Prevents Modification via Block Editor

Thanks Opie! I was attempting to change the block definition's layer property from a non-zero layter to layer zero in order to conform to a chosen layer's color property (set as "BYLAYER"0. In my haste, I probably am missing something basic. The Block Editor is not the way ahead here or so it appears.
    I am stuck right now.

Login to Give a bone

Are you trying to do it via code? I'm not sure what you're doing to see anonymous block names. The whole idea of them is that they are hidden from the user interface.

Note, when you modify properties of a dynamic block, in the background, an anonymous block is created with it's EffectiveName property set to the original block name. So you would need to change the layers of the original block definition in case you insert it again and then update the block insertions too.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2022-03-09 at 11:57 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn