See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: hide categories in all links but not host

Login to Give a bone

Default hide categories in all links but not host

I'm a consultant, so I'm Copy/Monitoring the Grids from a Linked model so I can control their visibility better. Same with Room Tags. I have 6 Linked models and they are all doing the same thing.

Is there a fast way of hiding the Grids in all of the Linked Models, but not in my Host model? I have at least 4 View Templates that will need this. Do I really need to go into each of the 6 Links, change Annotation Categories to Custom, uncheck Grids, and repeat for all 6 links in each of my 4+ View Templates?

I'm in 2020 atm, and a little surprised I haven't come across this before, but I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Thank you very much,
    Stu

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: hide categories in all links but not host

Be Happy you only have 6 links to deal with. Typically I've seen this accomplished by making sure all consultants are checking what's on the individual worksets and making sure that only Grids and Levels are on the shared Grids and levels workset. Then you can simply close that workset in the Links manager and you'll never see it.
    Only downfall is if they put something else on that workset that you need to coordinate with. If you need to review the grids (say once ever other week), just open the worksets again via the link manager and go that route.
    Option B for new projects is to start a project, enable workset, add like 10 false links (Links to files with nothing in them) and set up your templates. Then when you start a new project, do a save as a new central and point to the correct links (reload from). This keeps the VG for the Templates and allows you to set it up once.
    Option B - there's a dynamo method that's more of a hack as it won't really adjust the template it adjusts the VG and you can't change it back without removing and reapplying the template.
    That's what I know.

Login to Give a bone

Unfortunately, you have to. You can create dummy link(s) in your template and then turn off the the grids in VG that way. When it's time to link in a model, just do a 'reload from' and link in your project file(s).

The other option is what @david_peterson suggested and create a dynamo script.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

The other option is to make the grids in your template have a different type name. For example, if the grid family in my project template is called "Tim's grids", then I can create a view filter that turns off all grids that don't include "Tim" in the type name.

Login to Give a bone

Create a view filter to grab all levels and grids not on your levels and grids workset.

Categories: Grids, Levels
    Filter Rules: Workset, Does not equal your levels and grids workset

Add the filter to your view template(s), uncheck the visibility check box

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tvock531562 View Post
    The other option is to make the grids in your template have a different type name. For example, if the grid family in my project template is called "Tim's grids", then I can create a view filter that turns off all grids that don't include "Tim" in the type name.
    For grids this is what we do ... although we've had to request our consultants not copy our grid types as that defeats the purpose.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is what we do as well, after all the models have copy/monitored ours I rename the type. It also means I can keep them visible in working views while they're hidden in sheet views. The worksets solution requires me to risk problems if they make a workset mistake and hides them everywhere at once.

Login to Give a bone

Each party needs to have a unique workset name. Once that is established, it is a great method. Perhaps the easiest to control.