See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: action macro won't play a different macro from the pulldown list

Login to Give a bone

Question action macro won't play a different macro from the pulldown list

I made a few simple Action Macros to automate some steps. I can’t figure out why my Action macros are not fulling loading.
    I see them in my list when I have a drawing open but when I go to change the macro I want to use, my drawing seems unable to find the desired macro and runs the default listed macro instead.
    I don’t see any issues with my file paths in the options. I open the folder and I see my .actm files.
    The weird part is, I can override this flaw by switching workspaces.
    If I switch to any workspace and then go back to mine I can get the pulldown menu to accept my choice action. But I have to do the switching between each macro I want to run.
    Please let me know if you need any clarifying information.
    I am aware of lisp routines and such but I have no idea how to create them so I am stuck with action macro for now.
    Does anyone know or have suggestions on something that might be causing this problem for the action macros?

"https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/258eb097-6431-45af-9a36-848fe2d91dec"

I'm trying to add a screencast I made of the issue. If you can't play it I could also use some tips on how to load a screencast from autodesk
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2022-03-17 at 07:30 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: action macro won't play a different macro from the pulldown list

Only Autodesk has the codecs to play back a screencast. Try using ScreenToGif. However, sometimes the forums software converts a gif to a jpg. If so, zip the gif.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the feedback.

Login to Give a bone

I changed your code to a hyperlink.

I've seen where sometimes there isn't a current workspace. I don't use action macros, so I don't have a lot of experience with to know if this is normal behavior, but perhaps it only works when you have a current workspace. In your workspace settings (WSSETTINGS), do you have "Automatically save workspace changes" checked?

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your feedback and help modifying the link. That was awesome.
    I checked my workspace settings (WSSETTINGS) and the "Automatically save workspace changes" was not checked. This is a system setting I've not messed with before, I have no idea how this setting affects my problem. I am going to mess with it and see if I can figure out how it might add my macros to my workspace. (maybe I'll be able to find a youtube video or something... )

Login to Give a bone

You mentioned that changing workspaces helped the macros to work. That led me to believe that you didn't have an active workspace set, preventing the macro system from working properly. Maybe it needs a workspace to store paths to your macros? Just guessing.

Login to Give a bone

I haven't been able to find any useful information for WSSETTINGS. I keep messing with the dialog box settings to see if something changes but I can't see any results if this setting is what affects my problem. So as of now, I don't have a solution.
    This problem is still valid and some other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know if I'm one click away from a solution or if I'm going down the wrong path.

Login to Give a bone

The setting just controls whether or not changes you make to the user interface, (toolbars, palettes, etc) are saved. If they are not, when you switch workspaces, you will lose the changes you made. For the scope of this problem, it looked as if your workspace needed to be saved.

Login to Give a bone

The WSSAVE command was not enough to fix the error. It had to have been some sort of linking issue with the changes I made to my CUI in my workspace. No matter what I did before I re-did my workspace and custom tab the WSSAVE command did not save the changes to the workspace. I ended up starting over and completely recreating the workspace and custom tab. my action macros are now working.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for posting the results.