Thread: Line type: Copy/Paste vs Load *.lin file

Login to Give a bone

Default Line type: Copy/Paste vs Load *.lin file

General AutoCAD question: We are simply wanting to add line types to a general template. Is there any difference to loading a *.lin file vs simply copying and pasting lines from another file? I don't believe there is a difference, and the question arose because I was asked to load a file that is chock full of bad definitions and thus won't load. We don't need to create new line types, just have them available in a general template. Thank you in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Line type: Copy/Paste vs Load *.lin file

The bad definitions could simply be the text style is not loaded in the current drawing. You'll need to inspect the definitions to determine what text style it is requesting.

Unless you are certain the lines from other drawings match the linetype definitions, then there is no difference from loading them from the definition file or copying them from another drawing.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    The bad definitions could simply be the text style is not loaded in the current drawing. You'll need to inspect the definitions to determine what text style it is requesting.

Unless you are certain the lines from other drawings match the linetype definitions, then there is no difference from loading them from the definition file or copying them from another drawing.
    Thank you!

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Rather than copying and pasting lines from another file I'd recommend using Design Center to drag and drop just the linetypes.
    Of course like Opie said without the Text Styles or required shape files they're not going to display properly.

If you have a drawing the linetypes work in attach it and any shape files in use and one of us could reply back with a lin file with all the linetype definitions in it.
    With the purge command click [Find Non-Purgeable Items] up top to see which shape files are in use.
    While Text Styles are saved in drawings shape files are referenced and should be shared with drawings.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Tom, I'll have to get back on this later, out of the office today. I appreciate your input!