See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: End User Benefits

Login to Give a bone

Default End User Benefits

I work for a small university and we are transitioning to REVIT. Typically any models we get would come from consultants and Architects. Once we have these models how can we effectively use them as an end user? The obvious initial thought is space planning but looking for suggestions for additional benefits.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: End User Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.weber800412 View Post
    I work for a small university and we are transitioning to REVIT. Typically any models we get would come from consultants and Architects. Once we have these models how can we effectively use them as an end user? The obvious initial thought is space planning but looking for suggestions for additional benefits.
    Hello, Jeffrey. I'm going to go ahead and move this question from the BIM Management - General forum, to the Facilities Management - In Practice forum, as post-occupancy topics are served there. Please feel free to read through the other threads in this forum, as BIM is discussed in a few.

Saying a small university, I'll assume you do not have an Engineering Department as part of your Facilities support. Just wondering what you all do with your CAD files currently?
    Revit models can connect to IWMS/CAFM/CMMS solutions similar to how AutoCAD files did, but with somewhat more data being able to flow over.
    And of course, the general maintenance of a 'current' document, so you have it for future renovations.

When it comes to documentation, if you can think of it, there is generally a way to do it.

I do always suggest that most data lies elsewhere. Though Revit is 'smarter' than AutoCAD, it's still not a CMMS or IWMS. You wouldn't manage security or key control or assets through it, even if it is a good base from which to start.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

We have a licensed Architect and 3 CAD/REVIT users. Most small renovations and remodels are done through our office. MEP projects are done by consultants and managed through our office. Capital projects are managed through our office also. Our office is also over the campus maintenance and that is what has generated the question. How can we use REVIT with our current CMMS system or is is even possible? I am not new to REVIT but new to the CMMS system so...trying to learn that part on the fly.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.weber800412 View Post
    We have a licensed Architect and 3 CAD/REVIT users. Most small renovations and remodels are done through our office. MEP projects are done by consultants and managed through our office. Capital projects are managed through our office also. Our office is also over the campus maintenance and that is what has generated the question. How can we use REVIT with our current CMMS system or is is even possible? I am not new to REVIT but new to the CMMS system so...trying to learn that part on the fly.
    Wow, that's great to have so much skill in-house.

Which CMMS do you have? Most major players would have a Revit plug-in which could import data and geometry in. If you don't have that type of plug-in, there's always the possibility of extracting data from Revit to a flat data file that can be imported in any system with a database as long as you have access.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost