See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AMD W6400 Radeon experience?

Login to Give a bone

Default AMD W6400 Radeon experience?

Is anyone using this graphics card? Any ideas/caveats/etc? The pricing seems reasonable, and it is available and in stock

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AMD W6400 Radeon experience?

Not the same GPU, but we've got a workstation with dual, smaller Radeon cards in lieu of the NVIDIA Quadro cards the rest of us have (you may have heard about a lil' GPU shortage a while back) - and they stink, YMMV.

More specifically, the AMD drivers stink - Autodesk certified download, as well as newest release from AMD - neither would allow Civil 3D to run, or even restart the computer without an error dialog, TBH:

Code:
    LoadLibrary failed with error 126: The specified module could not be found.
    Autodesk offers this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...raphic%20cards.

The only fix that worked, was to uninstall both display adapters in device manager, which would allow the software to be uninstalled (attempting to uninstall first just results in the same error dialog), then restart and allow Windows OS to use generic display drivers.

Now Civil 3D works.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Our IT department never listened to my constant complaining that we've never been given a PC that Civil 3D would run well on. Why them and Dell though an Intel processor combined with an AMD graphics card would be a good match I don't know but it's created display issues requiring constant regens and sometimes requires shutting down Civil 3D and restarting to fix. Never found anyone with similar issues on any forums except for 2 others with the same brain-dead combination.

I'll be retired this time next year and was given our next PC (laptop for the 1st time) with an NVIDIA graphics card also a 1st for us and it worked so well it brought tears to my eyes. Only disappointment was that the 2nd drive was still a spinner but I can live with it. No timeline on when they're going to order them for us yet but hoping to get to work on it before I retire.

Login to Give a bone

FWIW - after having just fixed that error 126 issue, it's already cropped up again, preventing the user from being able to even launch C3D at all.

When inspecting the display adapters in Device Manager, they were now identified as the correct GPU in lieu of 'Generic', so Windows OS must have installed driver from AMD through Windows Update or something; literally uninstalling the display adapters and checking the box to also remove the driver, followed by a restart is all that's needed to make C3D work again.

Just cannot wait for my new workstations to arrive by end of day today. Haha
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000