Thread: large hotel w/ 6 room types (revit links) copied to total of 200 rooms-model is very slow to work on

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default large hotel w/ 6 room types (revit links) copied to total of 200 rooms-model is very slow to work on

it been brought to my attention that a team in my firm is working on a large hotel w/ 6 room types (revit links) copied to total of 200 rooms. there is a shell model where these room links are linked into. we then give said model (shell with 6 room types (revit links) to our consultants (MEP, Struct. etc.) on their end it is very slow as well. on our end when we try to flip door swing in the shell model it takes over 5 minutes for that command to be completed,

has anyone worked on a project with the same or similar parameters/issues?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: large hotel w/ 6 room types (revit links) copied to total of 200 rooms-model is very slow to work on

I have not worked on a project like that but I do have ideas on how it could be better (not knowing exactly how yours is set up).

I guess it depends on what needs to be worked on and by whom and where.
    You can control what is on and off (loaded/not loaded) or in worksets (visible/not visible) in working views so it's not having to think so much.

You mention flipping a door in the shell model taking too long (assuming this is a corridor between room links?) so I would have a view set up with little to no "rooms" loaded so its minimal content to work with.
    The same with other types of views, chop up the views to more manageable pieces, not all at once.

You only need to have the "whole model" on in some views, not necessarily working in it, with everything on.
    The bottom line is you can control what you are working on and not make your software generate un-necessary content which takes up RAM and time.

We do this with point clouds, we have only a few views with the point cloud loaded (a workset turned to "not visible" globally and on for those views) and so it doesn't bog down the whole project.

Just my opinion on all of that.