See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Multiply a value in mm with a unit-less value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger, why?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multiply a value in mm with a unit-less value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger, why?

Hi!

I'm using parameters in my design to speed up changes and run into a strange problem.

If I multiply a value in mm with a unitless value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger than it suppose to be. Why?

See my attachment for understanding.

Patrik
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiply a value in mm with a unit-less value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger, why?

Welcome to AUGI.

What happens if you add some more parenthesis? (PlateW - (((NoRows-1mm) * 8 ul) + 4 mm) * 4 ul) /AA

Also, instead of posting a Word file, please use the forum tools to post a picture (jpeg or png). That way users don't have to download anything. They can use the forum's image preview.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiply a value in mm with a unit-less value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger, why?

Quote Originally Posted by patrik.hertel801199 View Post
    Hi!

I'm using parameters in my design to speed up changes and run into a strange problem.

If I multiply a value in mm with a unitless value (type ul) the result is 10 times larger than it suppose to be. Why?

Patrik
    Adist (mm) = Cdist (mm) * Arel (mm)

Try to modify the equation this way:

Adist (mm) = Cdist (mm) * Arel (mm) / 1 mm

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi!
    Patrik
    Simple, Inventor internally calculates distances in cm (centimeters). That's 10mm:=)))
    ul (unitless) means use native units, cm!

See VBA programming examples or some API manual.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi!

Patrik
    Hi Patrik

first of all , always make sure your unit settings are OK for all parameters. The red text in the entry-cells is red for a reason!!
    example : you calculate Adist (a distance or length with unit mm) from multiplying Cdist and Arel (both distance or length) : the result actually has a unit of square mm. you could either devide the result by 1 mm (since mm^2/mm = mm), but i think it is more likely that one of your inputs (Arel) is not a distance but just a number (unitless)

cheers

rob sman