Thread: Surface Styles - Hatching - Routine API

Wish List Administration

Default Re: Surface Styles - Hatching - Routine API

Summary: dealing with thousands of triangles can be a bit of a pain in the butt, I figure the software chugs on Elevations because of a object count, not complexity

Description: If they were to change the routine to detect contours and the given mins and maxes of each elevation index, then they could make hatches using island boundaries instead. then each elevation would be one object across the entire surface. Would probably help with exports too when you end up with thousands of little triangles for every vertex in the surface. If the hatch ended up with only vertices around their perimeter, everything would benefit. Even printing, when you get finite triangle edges all over your plots.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - API

Submitted By: sebastien795355 on 08/18/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: dealing with thousands of triangles can be a bit of a pain in the butt, I figure the software chugs on Elevations because of a object count, not complexity

Description: If they were to change the routine to detect contours and the given mins and maxes of each elevation index, then they could make hatches using island boundaries instead. then each elevation would be one object across the entire surface. Would probably help with exports too when you end up with thousands of little triangles for every vertex in the surface. If the hatch ended up with only vertices around their perimeter, everything would benefit. Even printing, when you get finite triangle edges all over your plots.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - API

Submitted By: sebastien795355 on 08/18/2022
    Right now I'm working with a file that has 20 elevation gradients, so this could be 20 hatches. Instead I have over 200,000 little triangles because the surface was derived from a DTM at 0.25m grid, then you have to consider when the grid triangles are sliced into different elevation gradients. The hatch system makes absolutely every triangle edge into a separate hatch.

This is relating to hatches, which are native to AutoCAD. However, the Surface Styles are not an AutoCAD feature. This wish should be for Civil 3D.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt