See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Archiving drawings at certain milestones

Login to Give a bone

Default Archiving drawings at certain milestones

I am trying to archive my a drawing at a certain milestone and need my data shortcuts (in this drawing) to archive at this point as well and never update as the project progresses. I thought changing the working folder would do the trick, but the drawing keeps reverting back to the active shortcuts folder. What is the fix?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Archiving drawings at certain milestones

You can promote the DREFs before archiving, or simply archive the entire project folder (aka snapshot), so you can always get back to the DREF source objects.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    You can promote the DREFs before archiving, or simply archive the entire project folder (aka snapshot), so you can always get back to the DREF source objects.
    Have you done this before? I've never used SNAPSHOT. From what I've read, it's more of a "start from point" rather than a "return to point" tool. Will it allow you to store an archive in a way similar to eTransmit, so it can be unpacked in a new location?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jessevas656864 View Post
    Have you done this before? I've never used SNAPSHOT. From what I've read, it's more of a "start from point" rather than a "return to point" tool. Will it allow you to store an archive in a way similar to eTransmit, so it can be unpacked in a new location?
    I am not referring to the CREATESNAPSHOT Surface command; that is intended to increase drawing performance, but there are other ways to FTJ (Fuel The Jet).

Instead, I am referring to the concept of creating a snapshot (a copy) of an entire project, and all of its folders - at least the portion of an entire project that contains your project drawings, that is (we all have a different folder structure).

By copying an entire project folder structure, you retain an archive copy of said project after a given milestone (i.e., say after a project submittal, or perhaps before a major design change, etc), so you can always get back to that point in the project if needed down the road, which will include all of your DREF source Objects. Simply use MANAGEDATASHORTCUTS Command, and watch out for Networks that reside on locked layers.

Without this, you're dependent on IT having sufficient backup topology that goes back that far (most do not). Hopefully, they've enabled shadow copy on the file server, so you can simply right click, restore previous versions.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Yepper, that's the way to do milestone archives. The only thing I would add is to delete back files and otherwise un-used files after your copy the project folder. (after, not before)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Yepper, that's the way to do milestone archives. The only thing I would add is to delete back files and otherwise un-used files after your copy the project folder. (after, not before)
    Great minds, my friend Haha - As it happens, I use a custom Shell (context) menu for just this reason:

2022-09-01_09-53-40.png

Here's the Shell (context) menu:

** Change the file path below to where you save the .BAT file **

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Cleanup Archive Files]
    @="Cleanup Archive Files"
    "Extended"=""
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "Position"="Bottom"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Cleanup Archive Files\command]
    @="C:\\SomeFolder\\CleanupArchiveFiles.bat"
    Here's the .BAT file that the Shell (context) menu runs:

** Add/remove file types as needed

Code:
    DEL *.bak,*.ds$,*.dwl,*.dwl2,*.err,*.log,*.tmp /s

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

BlackBox, you have the UAC shield icon showing as part of your right-click menu item. Does it require UAC permissions to use that menu item?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    BlackBox, you have the UAC shield icon showing as part of your right-click menu item. Does it require UAC permissions to use that menu item?
    I added it for visual clarity, so it would stand out - so user would contemplate before clicking only - as it will delete files.

If user can execute .BAT file from the location specified, it should just be a typical shell menu in terms of functionality.

You can make the icon anything you want, really.

[Edit] - If anything, permissions *may* be needed to modify the registry (to add the shell menu).

Computer Specs: