See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2011-03
    Posts
    16
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Ok... this is a bit of a weird one, so forgive me. We work with large building files (think... stadiums and arenas), and we do audio/video drawings. So we have, say, an overall FP of the entire level, with all of our devices and conduits tagged, at say, 1/32" scale. However, we ALSO have to show individual quadrants or areas of the buildings on pages at say, 1/8" scale.

    Previously, in AutoCAD, we would tag everything so that they show up the "correct" size in the 1/8" scale, for the quadrant views. Then for the overall views, I would force the annotation scale of the viewport to be 1/8" scale while the standard scale was 1/32". Yes, this made the tags appear very small in the overall views, but it meant that we didn't have to touch every tag twice. And since it's only the guys in the field using tablets and PDFs to zoom in and look at the overall views, it was fine that the tags had like .0325" text... we weren't relying on prints here.

    I can't figure out how to replicate this process in Revit. All tags are inherently annotative, so I can't make them stay a fixed size, and I can't force the viewport to display them at a scale that's different from the view scale.

    Is this possible? Because the old dudes at my company are SO incredibly insistent that we get these overall views into the package that they're currently threatening to make me pull all of the views OUT of Revit just to do the overall pages in AutoCAD. I can't explain to them that that particular process will literally push me over the last thread of sanity I remain clinging to.

    Is there a way to do this? Literally anything? Bueller? Please help. I'm already at 80 hours a frigging week just to fix this mess of a project... I can't touch everything twice.

  2. #2
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2015-08
    Posts
    195
    Login to Give a bone
    1

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Unfortunately there is no way to do this easily. How I see it you have 2 options.
    1. Create a smaller tag for the 1/32 scale drawing and do a tag all in view to place the tags on all audio/visual equipment.
    2. Create a custom titleblock family that is 4x bigger (including all the text and labels), then do an overall plan at 1/8 scale and place it on the sheet. Then edit your viewport name family using a calculated parameter for where it shows scale and divide that by 4 to make it show 1/32. Next print the sheet at to the correct sheet size and scale it down to 25%.

    Other than these 2 options I don't think you have any other choices.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    2011-03
    Posts
    16
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    That is exactly what I THOUGHT the answer was going to be, so... while disappointed, I am NOT surprised.

    Thank you for the options though/ The first one is what I'm trying to avoid having to do... but the second one is really thinking outside the box. I appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Certifiable AUGI Addict tedg's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Location
    in the upper right corner
    Posts
    3,411
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Quote Originally Posted by marmiketin View Post
    Unfortunately there is no way to do this easily. How I see it you have 2 options.
    1. Create a smaller tag for the 1/32 scale drawing and do a tag all in view to place the tags on all audio/visual equipment.
    2. Create a custom titleblock family that is 4x bigger (including all the text and labels), then do an overall plan at 1/8 scale and place it on the sheet. Then edit your viewport name family using a calculated parameter for where it shows scale and divide that by 4 to make it show 1/32. Next print the sheet at to the correct sheet size and scale it down to 25%.

    Other than these 2 options I don't think you have any other choices.
    option #2 is brilliant, easiest way to trick it into doing what you want.

  5. #5
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2012-09
    Posts
    1
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    First rule of construction documents...information should not live in two places.

    That being said, you could just delete and copy/paste the tags into the larger scale view each time you re-issue. Could probably even create a simple Dynamo script for that.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    2011-03
    Posts
    16
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Quote Originally Posted by boiiinng503034 View Post
    First rule of construction documents...information should not live in two places.

    That being said, you could just delete and copy/paste the tags into the larger scale view each time you re-issue. Could probably even create a simple Dynamo script for that.
    That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid... having to touch TWO different tags every time I do something. Again, in AC I would just have the enlarged view at 1/8" scale or whatever, and the annotation scale would be set to 1/8" on all the objects... so that's fine. And for the overall view, I would set the standard scale to 1/16" or whatever, but FORCE the Annotation Scale to 1/8". That way all the tags were the EXACT same, just... smaller. Which no one cared about since they only ever used the overall views on the iPads where they could zoom.

    I think I've decided to go the route of telling the old dudes asking for this **** that it doesn't work that easily in Revit and they're just going to have to give it up.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    2010-04
    Posts
    39
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    I do not understand why you would have to "touch two different tags" when you change something. If you change a component "ALL" the tags associated with that component will update thought the documentation set. Or am I missing something?

  8. #8
    Certifiable AUGI Addict tedg's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Location
    in the upper right corner
    Posts
    3,411
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Quote Originally Posted by resullins View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid... having to touch TWO different tags every time I do something. Again, in AC I would just have the enlarged view at 1/8" scale or whatever, and the annotation scale would be set to 1/8" on all the objects... so that's fine. And for the overall view, I would set the standard scale to 1/16" or whatever, but FORCE the Annotation Scale to 1/8". That way all the tags were the EXACT same, just... smaller. Which no one cared about since they only ever used the overall views on the iPads where they could zoom. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by anetace View Post
    I do not understand why you would have to "touch two different tags" when you change something. If you change a component "ALL" the tags associated with that component will update thought the documentation set. Or am I missing something?
    This is true, if set up properly, you won't have to touch the tags in each view (other than adding new ones when needed).
    Going back to that "option #2" I think is your best bet and really won't take much work to pull off.
    Think of it this way:
    You have your "quadrant" (part plans) at 1/8" scale with all the tags/annotation etc. scaled properly for a 1:1 plot sheet.
    Then have your overall (full) plan ALSO at 1/8" scale.

    This is the custom part:
    Next, create a custom TB that is big enough to show that overall plan (2x or 4x the normal size)
    Create a sheet with this new TB and bring your overall plan in.

    If proper "view callouts" are needed you may need to create a custom one of those with the same scale as your TB, if not simply use properly scaled text (make a custom text style with the proper height etc.)
    Then set that sheet up to plot to proper size and mentioned earlier, (save that configuration for later), you'll end up with a proper size plotted sheet, forced tags to show a smaller size without making custom tags/text etc.

    It sounds like this is more of a worksheet for users than part of a drawing set?

  9. #9
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2015-08
    Posts
    195
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    With Option #2 (see earlier response) it also allows you to make your overall plan and then have your quadrant plans as dependant views with crop regions and annotation crops so if you move a tag on the quadrant plan it moves on the overall plan. It seems to me to be the most simple option.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    2011-03
    Posts
    16
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Fake Annotation Scale in Viewport?

    Quote Originally Posted by anetace View Post
    I do not understand why you would have to "touch two different tags" when you change something. If you change a component "ALL" the tags associated with that component will update thought the documentation set. Or am I missing something?
    Ah... it's mostly because of congestion. We CONSTANTLY have to manually move the tags out of the way of objects, other annotations, etc. Like, the picture below is of our object tags at the 1/8" scale... so if we were to do an overall scale, and those tags increased in size to match when printed, we would have to move every tag to work in both scales.

    Screenshot 2022-09-30 203721.png

    This is true, if set up properly, you won't have to touch the tags in each view (other than adding new ones when needed).
    Going back to that "option #2" I think is your best bet and really won't take much work to pull off.
    Think of it this way:
    You have your "quadrant" (part plans) at 1/8" scale with all the tags/annotation etc. scaled properly for a 1:1 plot sheet.
    Then have your overall (full) plan ALSO at 1/8" scale.
    Yeah, I understand the concept, and I think I might explore that option in future sets. That seems like the most reasonable. We couldn't really get it implemented for this release. But I would like to see if it could be done easily.

Similar Threads

  1. match annotation scale to viewport scale
    By ccowgill in forum AutoLISP
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 2009-05-04, 10:54 PM
  2. Annotation Scale different than Viewport scale!!
    By smooth shoes in forum AutoCAD General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-10-17, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •