Thread: File Open dialog contents not the same as windows explorer contents

Login to Give a bone

Default File Open dialog contents not the same as windows explorer contents

Hi - I thought I posted this yesterday, but it didn't get posted I guess. If it did, I apologize for the duplicate post.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen an issue, specifically with C3D, where the contents of the File Open dialog box folders don't synchronize correctly with Windows File Explorer, so what you see in the File Open dialog is not the same content as a Windows File Explorer of the same location at the same time.

I have a pretty good idea it's not an Autodesk issue, but I'm trying to rule out several causes.

Thanks,
    Grant

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File Open dialog contents not the same as windows explorer contents

What are the differences you are seeing?

Are you missing drawings in the C3D dialog that are displaying in the File Explorer window? The Open dialog is only going to display the file types as selected in the Files of type: drop down, which is found at the bottom of the open dialog window.

Are you certain you are connecting to the same folder? You can copy the folder path shown in File Explorer address bar to the File name: text box of the C3D Open dialog (or any file dialogs with the same layout in AutoCAD). This would help determine if you are connecting to the same folder in both programs.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I'm sure I'm in the same folder in both views. The differences I'm seeing are the file date and size. The list of files is the same. I suspect it's a windows username/account issue and I need to wipe mine and recreate it, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried rebooting?
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

I cannot see where this would be a username / account issue. The file dates and sizes are not different based on who is viewing them.

If these are online / offline folders, it is probably a syncing issue as you mention earlier. However, this would also mean you may potentially be viewing different folders.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    I cannot see where this would be a username / account issue. The file dates and sizes are not different based on who is viewing them.

If these are online / offline folders, it is probably a syncing issue as you mention earlier. However, this would also mean you may potentially be viewing different folders.
    It's very odd - it's not a "system-wide" error as I'm the only one who's having the issue. If I hover my mouse over the file listed in the File Open dialog list of folders and files, the hover patch that comes up does correctly identify the file size and date. it's just the list itself in the file open dialog that's wrong.

One other issue that started at the same time and probably is related is that a file (any file) will keep regen-ing after opening - all by itself - over and over again for quite some time. So I'm not sure which issue is causing which.

I have tried rebooting several times, cold boots, I've reinstalled the latest patches for C3D, etc. I've run recover on the files and any xrefs, purged and audited them all.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried rebooting several times, warm boots and cold boots, I've reinstalled the latest patches for C3D, etc. I've run recover on the files and any xrefs, purged and audited them all. One thing I haven't tried yet is a system restore. That will be next.

Login to Give a bone

is the time/date on the local PC correct? Where is it getting Time from? Is that the same location as the other machines?

Login to Give a bone

Hi - yes the time and date are the same on all the local machines. It's set by the cloud server, I assume.

Login to Give a bone

in a dos command window, type "net time" without the quotes, and that will return the name of the server that you are getting time and date info from. It's very unlikely that it's coming from a cloud server