Thread: ACAD/C3D 2023 Deployment setup via online portal with ARG

Login to Give a bone

Default ACAD/C3D 2023 Deployment setup via online portal with ARG

Has anyone had success utilizing the online deployment setup tool including a custom ARG file?

From my test so far, it added the name from the ARG to the profiles list, but did not actually use it to create that profile's settings.

I am specifically working on a Civil 3D deployment, but also plan to deploy AutoCAD Architecture and anticipate similar issues.

(Note: I am using Px Tools by Pragmatic Praxis to install deployments and related customizations)

I have this reference from AU2010 on Bootstrapping ACAD deployments: https://forums.augi.com/showthread.p...ighlight=cm427.

And this ACA 2010 guide: https://www.scribd.com/document/1293...hitecture-2010

Being over 10 years gone, I'm wondering if there's improvements that have been made along the way.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACAD/C3D 2023 Deployment setup via online portal with ARG

I have used the custom deployments, but not with an arg file. I have access to a vm where I can test it. If I get time, I'll give it a try.

I'm not familiar with PX Tools. Does it run the bat file created by the custom install tool?
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I have used the custom deployments, but not with an arg file. I have access to a vm where I can test it. If I get time, I'll give it a try.

I'm not familiar with PX Tools. Does it run the bat file created by the custom install tool?
    It's a similar concept and information from the bat file is used to initiate the installation (we're using the silent install option). Px Tools allows for the incorporation of additional customizations and cleaning up of installation stuff.

Here's an overview: https://www.pragmaticpraxis.com/lesson/pr_slf_prologue/.

Login to Give a bone

I created a test deployment and it added the arg file here:
    N:\networkpath\Civil 3D w Profile\image\CIV3D_2023_en-US\CustomUserFiles\CUSTOM_PROFILE

Does your image folder have an arg file at that location? If it didn't, maybe your custom install failed to save or upload the arg file. If there is one there, check your arg file to make sure it can create a profile with the settings you expect.

Login to Give a bone

I created a test deployment and it added the arg file here:
    N:\networkpath\Civil 3D w Profile\image\CIV3D_2023_en-US\CustomUserFiles\CUSTOM_PROFILE

Does your image folder have an arg file at that location? If it didn't, maybe your custom install failed to save or upload the arg file. If there is one there, check your arg file to make sure it can create a profile with the settings you expect.
    It did add the ARG file to that folder, but what it didn't do was copy that ARG with the installation or set it to be the one to use in the default shortcut. (Note: when creating the deployment, I deselected the options to create shortcuts ... although it's still creating an Imperial shortcut despite that exclusion. & if I select to create the Imperial shortcut (don't need metric), I get two shortcuts. ~shrug~)

Giving up on expecting the deployment creation process to do this properly, I'm using the PxTools to copy the ARG to an appropriate location along with a custom shortcut referencing said ARG & that works to invoke that profile on the initial run of C3D. The only downside to this is I will have to train staff to export the ARG anytime they want to tweak any settings in Options or to edit the shortcut to exclude the path so it calls the Profile in place.

PxTools can also delete the rogue shortcut created during installation, so users won't get confused and use the wrong one.

Login to Give a bone

My test just finished installing and it didn't import the arg file. The only thing I can suggest is to manually create a shortcut that uses the /p switch to load the arg file and then use the install bat to copy it to the desired location.

I would start a support ticket and let them know that the installer is not following the configuration.

Login to Give a bone

My test just finished installing and it didn't import the arg file. The only thing I can suggest is to manually create a shortcut that uses the /p switch to load the arg file and then use the install bat to copy it to the desired location.
    At this point, this is essentially what I'm doing ... just using the PxTools to copy it rather than a bat file.

Thank you for confirming the expected protocol does not happen for you either.